The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 1999, 07:40 PM   #1
TGS

Ive been shooting 300 gr Hornady factory in a new Taurus. I would enjoy hearing about some favorites you might have (loads). I still have to get my brass,powder,primers,and bullets (and dies). Would like to try 240 gr 260. The 300's were fun but.....oh heck I loved it.
Ive also heard about some 45LC (HVY)??? Could anyone shed some light on these.
What kind of success have you been having at what distances. How might the .454 fair in silouette (forgive the spelling). Any 454 shooters in the Nashville area.

------------------
Old November 19, 1999, 10:42 PM   #2
Walt Welch

See my reply to Bullseye or Unique? Instead of Alliant, go to Winchester Powder Company (confusingly, this used to be Winchester, was then named Olin, and is now Win again).

You will find an interactive reloading manual there, which can also be downloaded in .pdf format.

It contains loads for the .454 Casull. Curiously, there are two loads given for each bullet weight, each a few grains apart, and the powder used is 296. This powder used to be described as safe to use only as listed, with only one load given per bullet weight. Apparently Olin/Win has had second thoughts. They make the powder for Hodgdon, and H-110 and W-296 have suspiciously close burning rates. H-110 is supposed to be reduced only 3% from maximum; perhaps they applied this technique to 296. I don't know.

Hope this helps, Walt
Old November 19, 1999, 11:44 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A friend of mine with a background of 100 rounds a week of hot .44 Mag bought a Raging Bull. His preference is the 260-grain because he can do a high-speed double-tap and control the gun for close-together hits. He could not do so well with the 300-grain.

You can always load to .45 Colt specs for "plinking"...