The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2005, 02:48 PM   #1
AMT8951

Remington Express For HD

Whats the feasability of using a Remington 870 Express as a starting point for a HD shotgun. I basically concerned about two things.

#1. Ive heard that some 870's have a "dimple" in the mag tube that has to be delt with before a mag extension will work. Is this True? If so, how hard is it to rectify?

#2. I belive the model I'm looking at (see pic below) has a rifled barrel. Is a rifled barrel desireable on a HD shotgun? How will buck and #6 shot perform with a rifled barrel?

I know that someone will suggest that I just get an 870P, which already comes with a 7 (I think) shot mag. I am considering this. However, the closest place I can get an 870P, is about 90 minutes away. Plus it costs about $50.00 bucks more. I can get an 870 Express locally, and I kinda like the rifle sights. The 870P I saw had a bead sight. Thanks

Old September 13, 2005, 03:03 PM   #2
leadcounsel

Can answer #1, but not #2.

I have the 870 Express HD. LOVE the shotgun. Well make, accurate, and extremely reliable.

The dimples are true. I bought a mag extension a year ago and still cannot figure out how to fix the dimples! Between the cost of the mag extension and the cost/headache, if the extra 2 shots are that important spend the extra money upfront.

Now, instead of the mag extension I use a side saddle, which holds 6 shots on the frame. That gives me 5+6 handy, which is 11. If 11 won't do the trick, I'm in over my head! And, I keep a bandoleer which holds a whole heck of a lot handy.

happy days!
Old September 13, 2005, 03:43 PM   #3
AMT8951

I think I was mistaken. The gun a referd to above is actually a 7 shot, Remington 870 HD, rather than an 870P. Soory about that! Whatever it was it looked exactly like the weapon pictured below.

Old September 13, 2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Paintballer

I have that 870 Express Magnum. I love that gun. Its so fun to shoot, and you can tune it and upgrade it hundreds of ways.
Old September 13, 2005, 06:06 PM   #5
K80Geoff

Where IS 9MM Mike! He is the world's foremost authority Re removing dimples in 870 mag tubes.

FYI there are two "Dimples" near the front end of the mag tube used to hold the mag spring retaining cap in place. They must be hammered flat or drilled /ground out for mag extensions to work.
Old September 13, 2005, 06:25 PM   #6
cptmclark

Your beautiful deer gun

You have a beautiful deer gun. The rifled barrel will allow you to have near rilfle accuracy to and a little beyond 100 yards. The bad news is that a rifled barrel is TERRIBLE with shot. You really want a smoothbore, which will shoot foster type slugs into less than 5 inches at 50 yards AND will handle your buckshot needs.
If you are going to use it to save your life, how important is a few bucks or a drive? On the other hand, at bedroom ranges, it doesn't matter what you shoot at him cause you will have a tiny pattern anyway. Also, if five shots won't do it, you don't have a home defense situation, you are putting down an insurrection. Long mags look cool, but I don't think they are HD items. On the battlefield it's another matter. If people are shooting at you from outside your house, you need a rifle anyway. If they are in your house and you are lucky enough that they woke you up before they saw you, that's a different ballgame, but do you really need to shoot more than five times down the hallway? Just my opinion, of course. Good luck on your decision, and may you never need your home defense gun.
Old September 13, 2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Cactus

Here is a link to show an easy way to remove the dimples.

Dimple Removal
Old September 13, 2005, 10:58 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

AMT8951,

The version of the 870HD with a factory magazine extension doesn't have dimples, so if you get that one you will not have to worry about removing them. You want a smoothbore barrel for the HD chores, rifled shotgun barrels tend to open up shot patterns (either birdshot or buckshot) really fast. And you can still shoot slugs out of the smoothbore barrel too.

The 870 you picture in your second post is a great HD gun as is, and will serve as an excellent platform for whatever bling you want to add (Hint- learn to shoot it well AS IS first).

lpl/nc (who likes Express guns too, especially older used ones)
Old September 14, 2005, 02:23 AM   #9
phear_this_mind

I have always been of the opinion that if it is your life on the line, better safe than sorry. Get the 870 riot edition that comes with the magazine tube extension and call it a day.

Some popular and generally considered to be useful modifications are:

Side Saddle
Surefire forend (a lot of side saddled require a new forend in order to full rack the gun)
Barrel porting (www.vangcomp.com)
Ghost Ring sights

Other less popular and more controversial mods would be:

Knox Comp Stock or Cavalry Arms SST adaptor
Oko or EOTech Sights
Picatinny Rail
Old September 14, 2005, 07:35 AM   #10
AMT8951

Thanks Guys! I think I'm going to bite the bullet, and get the 870HD.