The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 29, 2004, 09:44 PM   #1
hps1

Problem posting pictures

I inserted three images using the "Insert Image" key in the following post:

Link

Previewed before posting to be sure images were present, and they were.

Got a reply that images were unavailable, and when I checked, really weird things occured. First, no images were shown. Hit refresh and the last image appeared; hit refresh again and all three were there. Now, no matter what you try, the images are gone.

Anyone have any ideas as to the problem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
hps
Old May 29, 2004, 09:58 PM   #2
P95Carry

I see these are hosted at Image Station .. they show for me just fine! (Good result BTW!)

Usually, if the (img) tags are right and the URL is correct ... little problem should be had.

Only things that come to mind are ... the host server - hiccups perhaps.

Your browser cache settings ... and refresh settings. Not too much else should snarl that up.

Clear your cache . close browser - reopen and try again . and check settings.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site
Old May 30, 2004, 09:59 AM   #3
tyme
Staff

None of the above. I posted to that thread explaining what's happening. Breaking the images was 1) intentionally done by imagestation.com, and 2) unfixable from TFL's perspective.

Some sites are just antisocial like that.

(There is a way around it, but you have to set up your own proxy, i.e. tinyproxy or squid, and disable passthrough of the REFERER header.)
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old May 30, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4
hps1

P95:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately ), I am much more familiar w/a Mod. 70 than with a CPU. I poked around a while but could not find the browser cache settings . They need to put those darn things in an obvious place like the adjusting knobs on a scope!

tyme:
Appreciate your help. Perhaps Imagestation just will not gee-haw w/TFL????

One thing that I failed to mention in my original post is that I have no problems posting Imagestation pics on two other forums I frequent. This may or may not shed any light on the matter.

(Screen name on AR is hm1996)

I tried to post a link on TFL to Imagestation, but Imagestation screen came up that access was denied, if that tells you guys anything?

Thanks again,
hps
Old May 30, 2004, 05:10 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

I was mistaken; it's not a matter of the referer. The site randomly returns 403 errors when people try to retrieve images posted on tfl.

I don't know why, but I don't much care.

Repeatedly running
wget -R http://www.thefiringline.com http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/f88230a4.jpg
from where I am results in some successes and some 403's.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)