The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2015, 12:24 PM   #1
WVsig

Looking to get my first Skeet/Clays gun

I am not much of a sports shooter. I have a defensive shotgun a 870 Police but it not suitable for shooting clays. It has 18" barrel and I guess I could get a longer barrel but it seems like I would do better with a gun more suited for the purpose. The weather is finally looking like it is going to warm up enough to get outside so start to start researching.

I belong to a range which has complete skeet and trap and am looking to start shooting a bit. I am short about 5'5" with shorter arms. Wear a S length suit. I have good upper body strength and muscular build so I think 12 gauge is still the way to go. I do not want to put the $$$ into a custom fitting so I am looking at compact/youth guns.

What do people think of the Winchester guns. I am not a big fan of what has happened to Winchester these days but I thought this would be a starting point for discussion. Looking to keep it at or under $1000. Thanks in advance.

I was looking at the following: Super X3 Field Compact

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...17C&mid=511146

I do not want to put too much into it to start and would like to get something that if I want to trade up to a custom fitted gun or an over under etc...

Last edited by WVsig; March 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Grant D

WVsig... you're an inch taller than me!
The first shotgun that I bought for skeet shooting was a used Remington 1100 12 ga.
Since then, have bought a Browning Citori Lightning, and a Benelli Montefeltro (left handed) also a Remington 870 Wingmaster (left handed)
But when it came time to shoot in the skeet tournament, I grabbed the 1100. It's one accurate, all around shotgun, with a mild recoil.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

I know little about the gun so I have no comment on it. Your thinking to avoid a custom fitting may not make sense, depending on what you call a custom fitting. A good gunsmith or shooting coach should be able to get a good idea of the LOP you need in a few minutes. (Don't just go by the rule of thumb of measuring from the crook of your elbow to the finger joint.)

You may also find that stock fitter/smith may not even charge to take a few minutes to check your LOP. My concern is the 13" LOP may be too small for you.

You likely know this, but you may want a longer LOP on a clays gun than you would on a defensive/tactical model.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; March 3, 2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:38 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I'd go with the Winchester. It's a much better gun than a Remington. I've owned a lot of Rem's over the years and years ago they were a decent gun. Anything they've made in the last twenty years pales in comparison for quality. The Winchester is a very well made shotgun. Go visit some clays fields and see how many Rem's are being used......almost none. There's a reason for that. The top used guns are Beretta gas guns. I'd be looking at one of them if I were you. They aren't much more than the Winchester in cost and are an outstanding gun. They can be adjusted for both pitch and cast on/ cast off with supplied shim kits. They are hands down the winningest autos out there today, and by a wide margin.
Old March 3, 2015, 02:52 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
I'd go with the Winchester. It's a much better gun than a Remington. I've owned a lot of Rem's over the years and years ago they were a decent gun. Anything they've made in the last twenty years pales in comparison for quality. The Winchester is a very well made shotgun. Go visit some clays fields and see how many Rem's are being used......almost none. There's a reason for that. The top used guns are Beretta gas guns. I'd be looking at one of them if I were you. They aren't much more than the Winchester in cost and are an outstanding gun. They can be adjusted for both pitch and cast on/ cast off with supplied shim kits. They are hands down the winningest autos out there today, and by a wide margin.
Can you recommend a model?

Quote:
You may also find that stock fitter/smith may not even charge to take a few minutes to check your LOP. My concern is the 13" LOP may be too small for you.

You likely know this, but you may want a longer LOP on a clays gun than you would on a defensive/tactical model.
Great point I had not fully considered this.
Old March 3, 2015, 05:06 PM   #6
BigJimP

Browning / Winchester are both owned by FN now ( for last several yrs actually) - and on the outside looking in, it looks to me like Browning is leading that division....and the Win offerings are basically the same as the Browning( they use the Browning choke system, etc ).

But I think under the Browning label...they have more options for you, especially in terms of length of pull, in both 12ga and 20ga in their Silver line of semi-auto's.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...er.asp?f1=020B

A semi-auto is a good choice to start in the clay target world at an affordable level. Depending on what "Fits" you ....meaning it has to hit where you look on a shotgun / your eye is the rear sight ...so the amount of drop at comb, drop at heel, length of pull are all critical issues on target shotguns.....but Browning /Winchester will give you a good gun for the money ....as will Beretta in their semi-auto lines - all 3 at affordable levels in my view.

Unlike a lot of guns.....if you take care of a Browning, Winchester or Beretta semi-auto ...even after a couple of yrs and 10,000 - 20,000 shells a year...you will still have some significant value in any of those three mfg's guns.../ if you want to go to some of the Over Unders...( and again I'll recommend Browning or Beretta ) for where you will get the most gun for your money long term.

The Browning Citori XS Skeet model - with the parallel adjustable comb that I've relied on for many yrs as my primary skeet, sporting and field guns ..is no longer made / but the new Browning 725 series has a couple of offerings in the $ 3,500 price range...

Last edited by BigJimP; March 3, 2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Virginian

I'd go with the Winchester. It's a much better gun than a Remington. NOT , especially for skeet and clays.
I've owned a lot of Rem's over the years and years ago they were a decent gun. Anything they've made in the last twenty years pales in comparison for quality. The Winchester is a very well made shotgun. Go visit some clays fields and see how many Rem's are being used......almost none. See how many compact SX3s are around, too. I see plenty of Remingtons. And I have looked at plenty of new ones and you can't tell the vintage by looking at the insides.
There's a reason for that. The top used guns are Beretta gas guns. I'd be looking at one of them if I were you. They aren't much more than the Winchester in cost and are an outstanding gun. They can be adjusted for both pitch and cast on/ cast off with supplied shim kits. They are hands down the winningest autos out there today, and by a wide margin.
The Berettas are the current best sellers, and they are good guns, but there are plenty guys who prefer the feel of the Remington as well. And the Winchester SX3 is a good gun too, just depends on what you prefer. If I was looking at shooting clay pigeons I would be looking for a gun more aimed at that pursuit.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:13 PM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
If I was looking at shooting clay pigeons I would be looking for a gun more aimed at that pursuit.
And that would be....?
Old March 3, 2015, 07:17 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I was looking at the following: Super X3 Field Compact
Keep looking for the sporting model with 30" barrels on any semi or 32" on an O/U; you want weight in a target gun, NOT light weight or short barrels as the key to success is weight for a smooth and steady swing.
Old March 3, 2015, 10:29 PM   #10
SARuger

I'm 5'10" and my optimum LOP is 13.25". I know this just by shouldering guns and then measuring the LOP. Anything longer makes me move the rifle/shotgun forward and then back against my shoulder wasting time on target.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:04 AM   #11
Virginian

When shooting from a low gun position, I always throw the gun forward and pull it back into my shoulder. Learned it at a young age as it kept the guns from snagging clothing in January as well as June. When I went to a shooting school many years later the instructor said it was good practice as well. When you start getting int serious details, one can usually shoot a longer LOP well when shooting pre-mounted than when shooting low gun, that's why the newer sporting guns have longer LOPs.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:18 AM   #12
eastbank

buy a used rem 1100 in 12ga and go shoot the c=rap out of it, untill you get the feel for the clay games and what may be better for you and them sell it for what you paid for it and get the shotgun of you choice. at a gun show last weekend i saw 4-5 for 275.00-500.00 in very good condition with vent ribs 28"-30" mod. full choked barrels. i have shot many 25-25,s with 870-1100 remington field shotguns, by only installing a morgan adjustable pad on them. i have been shooting a trap grade 1187 with great results.eastbank.
Old March 4, 2015, 10:37 AM   #13
WVsig

How are the Beretta Beretta A400 XCEL Sporting 30" guns?
Old March 4, 2015, 12:35 PM   #14
gbc123

If you just want one to start with. Mossberg model 88... $220 at wally world. Friend of mine shoots it well 5'4"
Old March 4, 2015, 12:49 PM   #15
BigJimP

All of the Beretta semi-autos are good solid guns / the XCEL is no exception.

Beware of the label "sporting" or "skeet", etc...its mostly marketing speak.

Ultimately it comes down to what best fits you - drop at comb, drop at heel and length of pull.
--------------
In general....

a good all around gun at around 8 lbs....in 28" or 30" barrel...is just fine for Skeet, Sporting, 5 Stand and upland birds....

a Trap dedicated gun...will typically be a little longer and heavier ( 32" barrels and up around 10 lbs...) because there is less left to right / or right to left movement in Trap. Heavier gun helps keep the follow thru smooth.

Lighter guns...in target games...tend to be "whippy"...making you "slap" at a target vs making a nice smooth swing and follow thru. The start of the shot is when you pull the trigger...the follow thru on a shotgun is the end of the shot....

Now the right combination of weight, length for you will be different for me...because I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs...so you have to find that mix that works for you.
Old March 4, 2015, 01:22 PM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
All of the Beretta semi-autos are good solid guns / the XCEL is no exception.

Beware of the label "sporting" or "skeet", etc...its mostly marketing speak.

Ultimately it comes down to what best fits you - drop at comb, drop at heel and length of pull.
--------------
In general....

a good all around gun at around 8 lbs....in 28" or 30" barrel...is just fine for Skeet, Sporting, 5 Stand and upland birds....

a Trap dedicated gun...will typically be a little longer and heavier ( 32" barrels and up around 10 lbs...) because there is less left to right / or right to left movement in Trap. Heavier gun helps keep the follow thru smooth.

Lighter guns...in target games...tend to be "whippy"...making you "slap" at a target vs making a nice smooth swing and follow thru. The start of the shot is when you pull the trigger...the follow thru on a shotgun is the end of the shot....

Now the right combination of weight, length for you will be different for me...because I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs...so you have to find that mix that works for you.
Thanks for the info. Will start to look for a shop where I can handle some.
Old March 5, 2015, 03:03 PM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
How are the Beretta Beretta A400 XCEL Sporting 30" guns?
Awesome, I own one and it has replaced my Browning O/U as my main target gun. I added an extra weight on the mag cap and have the shims set for me.

Met a Master class shooter at a shoot the other day who has 55,000 through his so far and all he has done is replace the recoil spring
Old March 5, 2015, 05:38 PM   #18
Virginian

Quote:
buy a used rem 1100 in 12ga and go shoot the crap out of it, until you get the feel for the clay games and what may be better for you and them sell it for what you paid for it and get the shotgun of you choice. at a gun show last weekend i saw 4-5 for 275.00-500.00 in very good condition with vent ribs 28"-30" mod. full choked barrels. i have shot many 25-25,s with 870-1100 Remington field shotguns, by only installing a morgan adjustable pad on them. i have been shooting a trap grade 1187 with great results.eastbank.
This is probably the best advice you can get. I got a new 1100 in 1963, and I am still shooting that gun at clay pigeons when I choose to shoot a 12 gauge.