The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2015, 03:06 AM   #1
Sriracha

Remington 11-87 malfunction... advice?

Hello everyone,

May I ask your input on an 11-87 malfunction before I take this in to the gunsmith?
I was patterning my shotgun for turkey season with light target loads and an X-full choke. After 3 shots with no issue, the gun malfunctioned:

1) The carrier does not open enough to load shells into the magazine
2) After working the bolt/charging handle, the trigger does not set. It's just "springy" and doesn't engage the sear.
3) When I released the bolt, it did not shut all the way for the first few attempts. The extractor seemed to be deflected inward, getting in the way.
4) The barrel will not come off -- even after some tapping with a rubber mallet.

I'd previously shot about 20 rounds from this gun (bought used). The piston is a single piece, unlike any of the shapes shown in the Remington online .pdf manual. I installed as it was when I bought the gun. But I've a nagging suspicion that the ring-shaped piston might have been installed backward.

Any ideas?
(Fortunately, I've a Mossberg pump as a backup for the turkey season...)

Thanks,
Sriracha
Old February 12, 2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Virginian

Too complicated to try to explain all the possibilities. I would try to find a competent gunsmith. It is very possible you have a broken/jammed piston. If the gun doesn't go fully into battery that would cause all the other things. Disconnector prevents trigger from functioning. Hard to diagnose over the internet.
The newer piston and piston seal is a snap together assembly. The old style worked better in my opinion, but cost more to produce. You can see pictures on ebay.
Old February 13, 2015, 01:38 AM   #3
Sriracha

Ok, thanks for your advice.
-Sr.