The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 04:23 PM   #51
Will Beararms

Had the store been mine, in view of what Mr. Kelly has said and done over the last two months in public and in Congress, I would have respectfully declined his business. Now, two perfectly good firearms will probably be destroyed or end up being restricted from law-abiding citizens.

I would liken doing business with Mr. Kelly----taking his money-----as akin to selling a firearm to the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan or the local leader of the New Black Panthers. Both of the aforementioned theoretical buyers might be qualified to buy a gun but I would not sell them based upon principle. In their case the money I received from them would be tainted. I could not in good conscious take money from a man who was attempting to cast a bad light on a legitimate industry for political gain.

This is not a wright or wrong, zero sum argument and you make a good point. It is just a matter of personal choice. My father would not buy certain American vehicle brand due to some of the founder's personal beliefs. I got that. I have had great luck said auto manufacturer's products and the mindset prevalent when the founder was alive is long gone.

It's all good though. I respect your take on things.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:14 PM   #52
Gaerek

Quote:
Why did gun store sell to him in the first place? Don't they have the right to refuse service to anyone? If you own a gun shop, why on earth would you sell to someone crusading against the right of others to own a gun in the first place? I have seen gun store owners refuse to sell to people before. It's not uncommon.
Last I checked, it isn't illegal for anti-gunners to purchase firearms. Is it the store's right to deny sales to someone? Sure, but I can imagine the backlash from that would have been worse than what they are feeling now. I asked a few questions of some of the workers there, and they aren't allowed to tell me anything. Personally, I'm glad they sold him the gun. It has worked against Mr. Kelly and his crusade.

On a side note, there's a new sign at that particular gun store prohibiting any kind of photographs or videos.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:19 PM   #53
jrz_dad

Sigh...another case of "do as I say...not as I do"....
Old March 18, 2013, 01:35 PM   #54
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad they sold him the gun. It has worked against Mr. Kelly and his crusade.
Their shop, their call. That said, I agree: by selling Kelly the gun, they exposed his actions to widespread media scrutiny.