The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 7, 2012, 02:45 PM   #26
shortwave

Quote:
Nope...even my sons use my guns here on our range but go home empty handed (unless they brought their own!). Sure, I've given both of them a number of guns over the years, but that makes them theirs, not mine and I wouldn't think of "borrowing" them. Friends? I offer some the chance to shoot on my range, but no borrowing. Same goes for my Harley...nobody rides it but me; and let's not even think about my chainsaw! Rod

You and I may be related.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

I cannot say that I categorically don't loan guns. I am cautious about loaning guns, but I do loan them out from time to time. The conditions under which I loan them depend on who's asking to borrow, and why.
Old October 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #28
geetarman

A friend of mine was given a handgun by her husband for her anniversary.

He works out of town and she asked me to work with her on shooting it.

The gun had problems and needed to go back to the manufacturer and I lent her a Ruger Security Six for the six weeks or so the gun was gone.

She got her gun back and returned my gun to me along with a loaf of pumpkin bread

Her husband is in town this weekend and we are all going to the range tomorrow.

He bought her a new Browning Buckmark for her birthday and we are taking it out.

Her husband has brothers who own Kimbers and he has the hots for one.

I am going to take the two Dan Wessons I have so he can try them out. . .who knows. . .I might have another convert

We have known them for years and I trust them. My wife had their kids in school for a while.

I would not loan a gun to someone I only knew casually.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 7, 2012, 04:06 PM   #29
tekarra

As a general I do not lend firearms. However, I have done so when I have known the individual well.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:22 PM   #30
marine6680

I do aviation contracting... which means I move around a lot... and I have no permanent home.

So my firearms are kept at a friends house whom I have known since we were in first grade.

Now that I have a fiance, she keeps them... seeing as several are hers or ours.

Looking to settle down somewhere so I don't have to worry about this, but that depends on finding a company that wants to hire rather than contract out.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:36 PM   #31
p loader

I will let my friends shoot any gun I own while at the range. "Lending" out however is another story. Not gonna happen.

I recently had a friend who wanted to travel to pick up a gun, he mentioned in passing: "Yea I was going to drive down there to meet this guy, I was wondering if I could take one of your pistols."

Nope.
Old October 7, 2012, 05:16 PM   #32
2damnold4this

Quote:
If I have a good friend that needs to borrow a vehicle for legitimate reasons, I most certainly would, just as if a family member or good friend needs to borrow a firearm to hunt with. Guns are material things and can be replaced, My friends and family are responsible folks that would fix or replace any damage.
+1
Old October 7, 2012, 05:19 PM   #33
Direwolf59

Nope. You never know what is going to happen. I'll let them shoot them at the range but won't loan them out.

"I don't like repeat offenders...I like dead offenders." - Uncle Ted
Old October 7, 2012, 05:22 PM   #34
orionengnr

I have not had a friend ask, but have several friends who have more-or-less recently acquired their CHL.

When they discovered (as I did, years ago) that their current range pistols were not necessarily the best for EDC, I have taken them to the range, let them try a few smaller ones, and offered to lend them said smaller pistols for a week or two.
Old October 7, 2012, 05:27 PM   #35
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the U.S., unless there are state laws, loaning a gun is no different than loaning any other item with a potential for misuse, in other words, loan only to someone you know and trust. But do not loan an NFA firearm; doing so can be considered by BATFE as an illegal transfer, and that is a felony. If you own a registered Thompson SMG you can let others shoot it, but you have to be present.

Jim
Old October 7, 2012, 05:27 PM   #36
cornbush

Quote:
I must be the odd man out as I will lend firearms, but only to people whom I implicitly trust.

THIS^^^^^^^^
Old October 7, 2012, 05:33 PM   #37
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I hunted deer for years with a borrowed shotgun. I've hunted pheasant with a neighbor using one of his guns.

I guess I think different about material objects than do most. They are meaningless to me. People matter, stuff doesn't.

If I borrow, I endeavor to return it in better condition than I received it. If I lend, I expect to never get it back (even though I almost always do)and it's a bonus if I do.
Old October 7, 2012, 05:41 PM   #38
Tinner666

"I must be the odd man out as I will lend firearms, but only to people whom I implicitly trust." Yep. I've even swapped for a week or so, a time or two.

Almost all my friends I trust that much have died off already so I don't think it will be an issue any more though.
Old October 7, 2012, 05:49 PM   #39
wayneinFL

I've never had anyone ask. If I were to loan a gun, it would have to be someone I know and trust. I put it in the same category as a chainsaw, lawnmower, or car. It's something that when operated by an idiot is prone to expensive damage or could cause a serious injury. I am very careful to loan such items to people who are not idiots.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:01 PM   #40
Boatme98

There are a couple of people I would lend to. They reciprocate.
We know each other well and have trust.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:07 PM   #41
baddarryl

I would lend one to a certain person or 2, for a certain task, and demand it back in a certain time frame. Only a couple of people in my life I would do that for, but I would, and have.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:40 PM   #42
KMAX

Very selective about loaning.

I loaned a semi auto handgun to one brother-in-law to use to get his CHL. He didn't have a handgun yet, but got his own shortly after getting his CHL. I would loan him anything as he would do the same for me. I have one nephew I would do this for also and two friends if they were to ask. My friends have their own guns though. I am very cautious as to who I would loan guns to or anything else for that matter. I have to feel the person is a very responsible individual. Sadly, the Bro-in Law and nephew are from my wife's side of the family. I don't feel so secure with my own family, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

There are only about three of my guns that I would loan out, however, the least special ones.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; October 7, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:08 PM   #43
Farm_Hand

I did it once, with a good friend, I got it back about 20 weeks later, and the barrel was covered with rust. He got it wet, and put it back in the plastic/foam carry case with the water on it. The barrel from a visual standpoint is now junk. The rifle was in "like new" condition.

Fortunately it was only a 10/22 and not a real gun (read expensive). Probably the same reason I would never loan out any of my real guns.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:00 PM   #44
rottieman33

I don't loan out guns but have had friends give me there guns to find out what is wrong with them. My brother lets be borrow his AR-15 but I return it the same day and cleaned.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:17 PM   #45
RamItOne

Worst part of loaning a gun to a friend is next time you're at the range with the gun you have the nagging question in your head "did he shoot better than me"
Old October 7, 2012, 10:14 PM   #46
KyJim

I don't recall ever loaning one out but would have no problem doing so to someone I trusted in both judgment and experience with firearms.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:13 AM   #47
b.thomas

To either of my two sons.........not a problem, anytime/anywhere is OK but anyone else then no way! Unless we're all shooting together then anyone free to use them.
Loaned out a shotgun once, got it back in pretty sad shape, no damage to speak of, just a mess, dirt/fifth, all over the gun. At lest they could have wipe down the outside with a gun cloth which i had provided?
Old October 8, 2012, 08:56 AM   #48
drail

Some day you will understand why you don't loan out tools or guns.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:03 AM   #49
Pahoo

Someing like that ???

Isn't there an old saying about; I'll lend you my dog but I won't lend you my guns or tools. My Dog can always find his way back home by himself. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old October 8, 2012, 12:02 PM   #50
pgdion

I'll gladly go to the range with them and let them shoot anything I have. But lend a gun out? Nope ... never to anyone.