The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 24, 2011, 08:55 AM   #1
customaquatics

maybe a black powder revolver?

the gun shop has some black powder .44 calibers for a couple hundred. ive never shot em before an the ruger caught my eye. how hard is it to use these? one of them is a percussion cap.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old December 24, 2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Custom,

You are well advised to read the stickies at the top of the Corral.

These will get you started.

You will then be able to home in on areas which are left unanswered with targetted questions. Questions on loads, lubes, caps, brass versus steel, powder, stuff you can make for yourself, cleaning, molding bullets versus buying bullets, emphasizing a certain aspect of BP revolvers (there are many), all of these will become part of a continuing dialogue which does not end. There are a lot of very smart folks on this forum who will be thrilled to engage in that dialogue.

You will learn that BP revolver accumulating and shooting is a very rewarding enerprise. It is an undertaking which lends itself to individuality.

Go buy one of those revolvers and get shooting! If you have a choice I would recommend a Remington style rather than a Colt as a first revolver.

By the way: If you saw a Ruger Old Army in relatively good condition for "a coupla hundred" BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!
Old December 24, 2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Doug Bowser

The Ruger Old Army or the Uberti Remington 1858 .44 are the best choices. It is not hard to load them but I have a revolver stand to hold the revolver while loading.

Cleaning can be made easier by using1/4 cup Murphy's oil Soap Concentrate to 1 gallon water for a BP solvent. Remove the nipples and clean with Murphy's. Do not add petroleum based oil. BP fouling and oil makes fr hard foulin.

Check with Google on further loading procdures
Old December 24, 2011, 09:29 AM   #4
customaquatics

ya im startin to get a nice collection of Rugers an i wouldn't mind adding a black-powder revolver. or at least have both .44 mag shell an the .44 mag powder guns.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old December 24, 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Custom,

Just out of curiosity, do you remember the asking price for the Ruger?

A good price for the Ruger Old Army, which is the only BP revolver they made is about 400 to 450 in good condition.

I have seen them go as low as 350.00 or so. Pistols in less than average condition go for less. But not much less.
Old December 24, 2011, 04:25 PM   #6
customaquatics

i think one was like $4 somethin an the other one percussion cap was like $550 but they had another one for like $450 an it was a .45 cal
Old December 25, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Custom,

Some folks call the ROA a .45 , indeed I guess it is.

The prices you mentioned would be right for a good quality ROA or a Colt second or third gen in fair condition but if these are italian replicas, I would be mighty careful about spending more than about 225.00 for a used one. Even that might be a little steep.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:46 PM   #8
reverendg

Boy, now I feel really good about the stainless ROA I picked up....375 on GB. It is in great shape too, and came with the holster even. I'm a total noob to black powder, so it will be spring before I chase down one of the guys at the club that knows his way around the stuff. But that's ok, I got one!!
Old December 27, 2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

At last... A moral compass for this sinner!

Welcome to the congregation, Rev.

Absolutely...$375.00 for a good condition ROA is quite a good price. It is a shooter's pistol. If you got into the BP way of life primarily for shooting, you are off to a great start.

Love to see some photos.
Old December 27, 2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Boy, now I feel really good about the stainless ROA I picked up....375 on GB.
They're good guns as long as you don't care about historical accuracy.