The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
jager

Front shotgun sight ?

I have just aquired a second , semi-beater barrel for my vintage Mod. 12 shotgun , always being on some sort of budget , especially today . I am planning to cut this second barrel down to 20" for HD purposes , which of course would eliminate the front sight. I saw in Cabelas a True Glow front sight that slides over the barrel. I wanted to know is this just another gadget or worth trying. Seems it would be a nice simple night sight , easy to install and best of all it is only $14.98.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Super-Dave

yes it works I have 3. The bead on the barrel would prevent this from sliding off. I would use some loctite on the hi viz and it should be fine without the bead.

George Orwell
Old December 15, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
scorpion_tyr

I have one on my 12 gauge pump. It works great for me. Simply snaps on and aligns itself with the bead. It's a pain in the rear to get off, but that's a good thing. Mine isn't a "night sight", it won't glow in complete or near complete darkness, but in low-light it works great.
Old December 15, 2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

jager

I am a little confused by our fellows answers to your question. I THINK you say that you are going to cut down this barrel and now want a replacement front sight. Did I get that right? If I am looking at the same product that you discuss, it seems to me that you will have to mount a front bead on your barrel to "lock in" True Glow front sight. Many aftermarket front sights require the original front bead to help secure the new sight.

All is not lost, installing a standard front bead is not THAT difficult. Please do your homework before buying this,

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; December 15, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old December 15, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5
true_pair

Tru Glo Tru Point wing and clay

Scattergun Bob is right. Many sights of these type require front bead. I have a TruGlo Tru-Point Wing and clay sight installed on a Beretta 686 Onyx. The sleeve on this sight may hang on to one of the rib posts if you have one left that ends up in front of the sight. Don't recall if Model 12 has a rib or not. here si the link
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

BEN FRANKLIN