The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2006, 09:14 PM   #1
wade6356

primer for 300 wsm

G`day
can anyone help me with the type of primer that is used in the 300wsm i have read conflicting reports while researching it on the net some say wlr and others wlrm. and any data using adi powder would be great to.
thanks wade
Old September 23, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Bud Helms

'Not trying to be a wise guy, but you DO have a reloading manual of some type, don't you?
Old September 23, 2006, 11:48 PM   #3
wade6356

Yes i have a lee handbook that states large rifle primer but everything i have read in forums and magazines ect says large rifle magnum primer. im new to reloading and dont want to f#*k it up.
thanks for the reply. wade
Old September 24, 2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Bud Helms

Okay, just asking. I use the magnum primers when I use ball powder. For extruded powders I use the normal rifle primers.
Old September 24, 2006, 12:31 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

WSM primers

Wade--all my sources also specify the use of large rifle MAGNUM primers, with jacketed bullets, with the .300WSM. My Lyman's 48th edition specifies non-magnum primers when using lead bullets and the appropriate powders.

It's helpful to have more than one reloading manual, for just this sort of cross-checking.

Do NOT use any reloading recipie you find on the 'Net, unless it agrees with yr published sources. Any anonymous yahoo, me for example, can tell you any irresponsible thing they want on the 'Net.

A loading manual publisher has to have tested the loads the reccommend, and I guarantee you they have lab-coated PhD's who know more than you--or I--do about overpressure, checking their reccommendations.

On second thought, I'm comfortable with using data from manufacturers' websites--But there again, the data has to have been OK'd by their PhD's. It's not anonymous.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; September 24, 2006 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Correcting clumsy wording
Old September 24, 2006, 12:48 AM   #6
wade6356

Thanks alot for the help i am thinking of getting another reloading book maybe the hornady handbook because i plan to use 180 grn sst`s for pigs.
Old September 24, 2006, 01:44 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Pigs!

Wade--180's are a good choice IMHO. That's about as heavy a bullet as the .300WSM will handle well (There has been a lot of discussion about the short magnums' inability to handle heavy-for-caliber bullets; in the case of the .300 WSM this includes 200 and 220 grainers.)

For pigs you want maximum penetration, and the heavy bullet will get that for you. Personally I've not had good luck with Hornady bullets generally, but mebbe that's just me.

I would choose a bullet built for penetration, for the shoulder shots on those big boars, through the cartilage plate. Have considered Nosler Accubonds, but am beginning to experiment with Barnes 180 grain TSX's, which are about as penetrate-y as they get.

That's a lot more bullet than one would need for a pig most of the time. Especially out of a speedy WSM. But if The Great Boar Of All Boars should show himself I'd want to be ready to get a shot through the armor and into his boiler room.

The Hornady handbook will give you that much more load data, and you can compare the reccommendations between the 2 books. Probably you'll acquire more and more load data books as you continue with reloading. This is a Good Thing.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; September 24, 2006 at 01:49 AM. Reason: The usual--Had another thought.
Old September 24, 2006, 09:22 AM   #8
castnblast

In my 300 win mag, I had great luck w/ hornady 165 gr. btsp's. I whacked everything from 50 Javelina, to 450lb (dressed) Nilgai, and tons of hogs and deer in between those weights. I liked the long range trajectory of that round, and had no issues w/ bullet blow up. I did have some issues w/ the 150 gr. blowing up at short ranges, but not the 165. RL22 was a great powder for that round. I reloaded about 600 rnds of that, which is substantial for that large caliber.