The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2002, 05:37 PM   #1
Fly320s

semi-auto only MP5?

Is it possible to buy a semi-only version of HK's MP5? Is that an SP89?

I like the style, size, and shape, but thanks to the current laws, a MP5 (or its clone) is very expensive.

I have every intention of owning a MP5 someday, but if I could get a semi-auto version for a reasonable price, I'd be all over it today.
Old August 9, 2002, 05:53 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Yep. But you gotta get "pre-ban assault weapons" The semi-MP5 is the H&K 93. The SP89 is essentially the semi-MP5K, but without the foregrip (which would make it an NFA weapon). Even being semi, these will cost you a few grand each.

NRA Life Member
Old August 9, 2002, 06:13 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Actually, Hkmp5sd - - -

I think you'll find that the semi-only MP5 with the shoulder stock and 16-inch barrel, was marketed as the HK94. The HK93 was in .223 caliber, a slightly smaller version of the HK91, which was .308. The 91, of course, was the semi-only version of the G3 sturmgehwer.

I regret not buying an HK94 when they were available for a few hundred dollars, and putting it away. I won't pay the going rate for one NOW, but if I found a true bargain on one, I would definitely pay the tax and have it lopped off to Short Barrelled Rifle (SBR) configuration, to be an MP5 lookalike.

THEN, if I ever fell into a properly registered auto sear I could afford, I could drop it in and have a SMG.

All of which is pure fantasy. If I had that kind of disposable dollars, I'd probably spend it on something else. Several something elses.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 9, 2002, 07:00 PM   #4
Fly320s

So, it's correct to say that a brand-new, fresh from the factory, HK MP5 cannot be sold to a civilian?

The only way for me to get one is to pay the sky-high price for one of the pre-86 ones?

Bummer.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:19 PM   #5
MrPink

Actually, transferable factory original MP5s are as rare as hens teeth - conventional wisdom say 1 made it in before the 1968 laws. All of the "MP5"s that are advertised are conversions of HK94s (the 93 is a 5.56mm rifle). They may be remarked some variant of MP5, they may be push pin/registered reciever (the most desirable and costly), registered receiver and sear guns.

You could buy a pre (1989, not 1986) HK94 and turn it into an MP5 look-alike as a Short Barreled Rifle that would be ready for a sear should you get one some day. Then again, if you can stand a SW HK clone, just buy a post ban and chop it, adding a sear turns it into an MG and you can then add all the evil features.

The semi only MP5 was the MP5SF, developed for the FBI. Because it is an MP5 receiver, the ATF considers it a machine gun.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 9, 2002, 07:48 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Johnny Guest,

Yep, you're right. Typo on my part.

I regret not getting a SP89 when they came out. Could use my MP trigger group and make an MP5K. I was young, dumb and never thought some moron would ban guns due to the way they look.

NRA Life Member
Old August 9, 2002, 08:19 PM   #7
swampgator

as posted by Johnny Guest:
Quote:
I regret not buying an HK94 when they were available for a few hundred dollars, and putting it away.
I found a magazine from 1984, on the back cover were the 94s, one fixed stock, one retractable. I showed it to my wife who had just fired the MP5 at work, and said "look what they cost back then."

She asked how much they cost now. The sight of seeing her jaw drop was priceless.
Old August 9, 2002, 10:58 PM   #8
Spatula

In the US

Due to the “Push-pin” design of the HK series, no individual can own a new production MP5 even if it has a semi-only trigger group. Most of the Class 3 MP5’s you see are actually converted 94's. Some of them are “clip-on” aka auto sear or converted “push-pin” – much more desirable.

You can find more infor here www.hkpro.com
Old August 10, 2002, 02:18 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Hkmp5sd,

Look on the bright side of things: you could be regretting selling your SP89 for $1200ish and feeling like a real financial whiz kid at the time for turning an almost 100% profit. D'oh!
Old August 12, 2002, 09:15 AM   #10
Apeach

I know its not an actual factory HK MP5, but Special Weapons makes MP5 copies that look and work exactly like the real thing, except they're semi auto and have 16" barrels. Its not quite the same, but one of those might give you that MP5 "feeling" your looking for. Best part about em, though, is that they don't cost as much as an HK MP5.
Old August 14, 2002, 05:48 PM   #11
george miller

apeach is right.ive heard some good things about the special weapons clones.though not an hk,for limited budgets,they are not bad.i believe they are newly made receivers with hk parts modified for semi only.last i checked they had different calibers from 9mm to 45 auto. they run about 1200.been looking into getting one.
Old August 14, 2002, 11:25 PM   #12
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

george miller,

In my experience, stay away from the SW's in .40 or .45. We had major headaches with their guns in those calibers as well as one in .308. Never got one running right, and customer service was, to put it mildly, appalling. The 9mm ones can be made to run with a few parts replaced and a little massaging, but they're kinda rough outta the box.

Still and all, a lot cheaper than an HK-94 these days; $1,500-$2,000 buys a lot of gunsmithing...
Old August 15, 2002, 12:19 AM   #13
RenegadeX

Old August 15, 2002, 12:25 AM   #14
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Boy, if you'd bought a couple of HK-94's at dealer back in '83 and socked them away... Then again, if you'd sunk that money into a little software company out in Redmond...
Old August 15, 2002, 02:05 AM   #15
Hkmp5sd

Those 1983 prices are enough to bring tears to your eyes........

NRA Life Member