The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2021, 02:15 PM   #1
SIGSHR

High Power Clones

The burst of enthusiasm over the introduction of the Springfield Armory version of the Browning High Power prompts me-an HP owner since 1967-to ask how owners of clones feel about them and why there doesn't seem to be that much enthusiam over them. The Browning HP was never manufactured in this country, hence it being manufactured here is not a "homecoming".

Last edited by SIGSHR; November 30, 2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old November 29, 2021, 03:22 PM   #2
CajunBass

I've had a couple of clones. A FEG, and an Argentine one. They were both good, solid guns. The finish may not have been as nice as a "Browning" but they shot and felt just fine.

I sold them to finance some other bright shiny thing that caught my eye I'm sure, but I'd probably buy another one if it came along. I'll be watching for a Springfield next year maybe.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 29, 2021, 03:32 PM   #3
jar

Actually I sold my FN HiPowers many years ago and settled on just a couple clones that I've used ever since. The clones were as accurate and reliable as my HiPower and with the money from selling the Browning I could buy several old C&R handguns I'd been wanting.

Right now I have an FM clone and a Bulgarian Arcus.
Old November 29, 2021, 04:06 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I love my FM (Argentinean) Hi-Power. The main reason I never carry it is the magazine disconnect.
Jeepaholic
Old November 29, 2021, 05:01 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Had one of the FEG Hungarian ones for a while, it worked fine until the recoil spring guide broke. I replaced it easily, and the pistol passed out of my possession soon after.
Old November 29, 2021, 06:18 PM   #6
gonzogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I love my FM (Argentinean) Hi-Power. The main reason I never carry it is the magazine disconnect.

One of the mods I made to my M90 Detective was to remove the disconnect.
Old November 29, 2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Shot a clone years back, really liked it. Wanted a real hi-power, not a clone but by the time I got around it it they were a fair bit more than I wanted to pay. Now I have a decent job, and the SA-35 looks mighty good. A quality clone that if fully backwards compatible..... I hope to get one once they actually hit the shelves at a reasonable price.
Old November 29, 2021, 08:32 PM   #8
Jimbo-Indy

Another possibllity would be the Arcus 94. Used be several european police services. They are an all forged frame/slide that uses most HP parts. Only real problem is the slide is more squared profile and trigger guard is different shape so holter fit can be a problem. Mine works fine in a 1911 Bianchi w/ thumb break. The MecGar 15 round mags work well. Arcus als makes a compact version and a DA/SA variant. Usually bargin priced.
Old November 30, 2021, 06:07 AM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I’ve had the FEG version for a few years and it’s been excellent. I removed the magazine disconnect and the trigger is pretty decent. Mine even has a pretty decent finish left on it, for $250.00 I sure can’t complain. As soon as I see an SA35 at a realistic price I’m snagging one.
Old November 30, 2021, 07:25 AM   #10
rodfac

I share Jetinterior's take....I have two Browning HP's, both Portugal assembly models (it's an FN plant BTW), in both 9mm & .40 S&W...I've removed the magazine disconnect on both of them which significantly improved their triggers. Both are ~ 2"+ grouping guns with ammunition they prefer.

For those that haven't tried a HP, it has IMHO, the best "feel" of any auto-pistol grip...EVER. I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 shooter for over 50 years, but the HP is just right in every respect. Angle, thickness...it's got it all...but for the miniscule safety catch (hard to actuate), it's the perfect grip.

As to clones, I missed buying a CDI sales Hi Power, back when you could find them for $350, and in good to excellent condition, on GB...a procrastination I sorely regret, as I wanted to buy one then send it off to Cylinder & Slide or Novak's for their soup to nuts re-do...

Like Jet, I'm looking forward to seeing one of the Springfield models and maybe buying one. The reviews I've seen are really positive but as to how it will stack up against one of the other clones: FEG, et. al., I don't know. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; November 30, 2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old November 30, 2021, 10:22 AM   #11
jar

As an aside; IMHO the real Browning HP like is the Browning BDM; the dual mode version that pretty much was still born.

It was fully ambidextrous out of the box, even slimmer than the HP, could switch between traditional DA/SA mode or DAO mode and has all of the balance, point ability, reliability and accuracy of the HP.
Old December 1, 2021, 07:07 AM   #12
CDW4ME

I'm waiting on my SA-35 HP clone to arrive; having steel components got my interest, no magazine disconnect, and supposedly addressed hammer bite was sufficient to make deposit.
Old December 1, 2021, 06:40 PM   #13
gsparesa

I am in agreement with CDW4ME. Forged components (slide & frame), no mag disconnect, improved sights and no hammer bite. I can't wait for mine to come home.
Oh, and price is perfect.
Old December 2, 2021, 03:23 PM   #14
Sharkbite

I just got done dehorning my SA-35. Had the frame refinished with cerecote in cobalt gray. Im liking this gun a lot
Old December 3, 2021, 02:02 AM   #15
AustinTX

Absolutely beyond belief to me that people are willing to spend $1,000 and up (sometimes way up) for these SA-branded clones. Unreal.
Old December 3, 2021, 10:40 AM   #16
Sharkbite

Quote:
Absolutely beyond belief to me that people are willing to spend $1,000 and up (sometimes way up) for these SA-branded clones. Unreal.
I paid under MSRP for mine
Old December 3, 2021, 01:00 PM   #17
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
I just got done dehorning my SA-35. Had the frame refinished with cerecote in cobalt gray. Im liking this gun a lot
Have you shot it? How about pics.
Old December 4, 2021, 12:34 AM   #18
AustinTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
I paid under MSRP for mine
Seems like a fair number of people are managing to do so — which makes the insane bidding wars on GB all the more incomprehensible to me.
Old December 4, 2021, 06:09 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
Seems like a fair number of people are managing to do so — which makes the insane bidding wars on GB all the more incomprehensible to me.
These bidding wars are most likely proxy bids done to drive up the price and create a false sense of value so some sucker will throw in a slightly lower bid on another one later and think he made a good deal.
Old December 4, 2021, 07:28 AM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
These bidding wars are most likely proxy bids done to drive up the price and create a false sense of value so some sucker will throw in a slightly lower bid on another one later and think he made a good deal.

Maybe, but don’t underestimate the people that want something now and are willing to pay. I’ve also seen rather silly bidding wars break out between interested buyers on some auctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 4, 2021, 07:41 PM   #21
AustinTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Maybe, but don’t underestimate the people that want something now and are willing to pay. I’ve also seen rather silly bidding wars break out between interested buyers on some auctions.

Having been the beneficiary of some absolutely asinine bidding wars as a seller on GB, I’m inclined to believe that most of the absurd auction results are unmanipulated.
Old December 4, 2021, 08:56 PM   #22
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post

True dat.