The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Anarx

Got my New 870 Finally..

Hey guys i finally picked up the 870 i've been eying its a 28" vent Ribed Barrel, Rem Choke, 870 Express Mag syn.

i have put about 200 rounds through it and have had a coupple of problems racking.. after i fire it almost seems like the shell is stuck inside the barrel and i have to crank down on the slide to eject it... am i the cause of this?? i sometimes have the tendensy to pull back on the slide while i'm shooting is this put unessasary stress on it causing this to happen???

i have had about 3 of these problems occur..
the ammo was Fenderal El Cheapo (2 3/4 1oz 7 and 8 lead)

other thing is i have been looking to get a 20" cantaleaver deer barrel.. will this barrel work fine for home defence as well? i figure in the tight confines of my living space the donut shape normal shot will take wont matter much *the longest strech in my home is about 50 feet IF THAT*.

umm lets see... Any idea where i can find the Banyonet and mount for it :-) that would be funney to pull that out at the gun club to shoot skeet with ...

Jess
Old March 25, 2005, 06:51 PM   #2
9mmMike

Congrats on the purchase of a fine weapon. If you have not done this yet, pull the barrel off and make sure there are no burrs in the chamber. Chuck up some 0000 wool on a dowel and polish the chamber.
A friend of mine with the same gun had the same problem. These new 870's just seem to have rough chambers.
His works great now but it took many trips to the range (to get it dirty) and then many cleanings and polishing to make it perfect.
We shoot the same cheap loads as you.
The 20" barrel is a good choice for HD. That is what I use on mine but I use the ones with the rifle sights.
Good luck,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old March 25, 2005, 06:58 PM   #3
tintcutter

So is it a home defense gun or hunting gun? If you can afford both, the convenience of having two is good, so you don't have to compromise defense / hunting at any moment.
Old March 25, 2005, 07:22 PM   #4
You

I put an order in for one with an 18" barrel and it still hasn't even arrived to the shop after a month and a half.
Old March 28, 2005, 02:15 AM   #5
Anarx

well see i dont mind sticking with this recever.. and i figure i wont need more then one shotgun at any one time.. so i might as well just swap the 20 inch deer barrel for home defence.. the spread might be strange but it will hit its target..

(FYI i have thought about it and done some test firing at the range and at any range in this house i would be able to put basic 1 1/8th ounce 6 through like 18 gauge steel.. i figure that if i used more then that for home defence i would have major over penatration..)

so for my purpose's it litterly takes me about 30 seconds at max to swap barrels and with it being that easy theres no senice in buying anouther 870 JUST for home defence..

the only problem i kind have is the price of these barrels.. at that cost i can buy anouther 870 at a gun show or used and just have the barrel cut.. perhaps a 18" barrel and have a rem choke taped.. (evil with the thoughts of a turkey choke for HD)

ok i'm rambling on and do have to work tomarrow.. thinks for the thoughts guys..

any awnsers on the banyonet thing? i honestly just want one for the cool factor.. put a 10 round mag extenson with on on it and go out to the gun club and fix it before i shoot trap.. and take pictures of other peoples faces... hehe