The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 15, 2018, 08:01 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

What condition did the World War II German officers carry their sidearms?

I can see the P-08 with a round in the chamber and the safety engaged.
The P-38 or PPK or PP with a round in the chamber, hammer down (thanks to decocker safety).

Anybody know for sure?
Old September 15, 2018, 11:31 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

That is an interesting question. I suspect that no matter what the official policy was the rules were somewhat more lax in combat.

Based on the design of the holsters and the locations of the safeties, I believe that the German belief was that the proper place for one's pistol when likely to be needed was in the hand. With the other hand available to operate the safety.

Seriously, German uniform holsters are luggage cases, compared to ours. Some even buckle closed. They are not a fast draw, or even a rapid draw item. and the safeties on the usual German pistols are not nearly as easily operated with the shooting hand as our 1911 design.

Also, the holstered pistol wasn't just something issued for duty the way ours were, they were part of the proper uniform, worn all the time. SO, I would expect they were most often carried chamber empty for daily wear, and when going into action, taken out and "made ready".

And, of course, officers do what ever they feel like, anyway...
Old September 24, 2018, 01:39 AM   #3
bamaranger

interesting

"in the hand"

That is a very interesting comment........because my observation is that there are indeed a number of photos and pic reels of german military in the line with pistols unholstered and in the hand, and the other oft times has a "stiel handgranate" in it.