The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2006, 09:55 AM   #1
deolexrex

Newbie Needing Help

Ok, I want to get into re-loading. I have zero knowledge and zero experience. I would like to load 12 and 20 gauge 2 ¾ shotgun shells, 45acp, 9mm, 38 Special/357magnum and .308 NATO. What do I need to purchase to begin? I have 5 sons who like to shoot so I will need something that will hold up but it doesn’t have to have a real high production rate as I have lots of help. Thanks in advance for you input and advice…I have always found the members here to be very helpful.

Iron at 500 - AQT Targets
Old March 6, 2006, 09:59 AM   #2
kingudaroad

Buy and read "The ABC's of Reloading". That should take care of the "zero knowledge", and get you on the right track.
Old March 6, 2006, 04:05 PM   #3
deolexrex

O ordered the book from MidwestUSA today. Thanks for your help.

Iron at 500 - AQT Targets
Old March 6, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
mjc

newbee

I'll probably start a huge debate here, but; Get the Lee aniversery kit. It has everything but dies, including a good book, and is priced right. Get carbide dies for pistols, three die sets for rifles, i use all Lee stuff and have had good results, also great service/ help when needed. You didn't say the ages of your sons, but you could probably load preety fast if you divide tasks once everyone is familiar with the processes (maybe buy a second press) Good luck, lots of folks with good advice here.
Old March 7, 2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Russ5924

First you are going to need two presses one for shotgun and one for brass cartridges.I wouldn't go with a single stage press not with all that group shooting but then I wouldn't go with a progressive either. I don't care what people say if you have all the time in the world and don't shoot much a single stage is great,but with six of you shooting you better think faster.I would go with the Dillon 550 so you can keep up with all those boys. I started with I think it was the Lee Deluxe kit that is a Auto indexing Turret press.Is a nice starter set, but for some reason everyone says the anniversary is I personally don't think so not for pistol shooters anyway but great for rifle.As far as the shotgun press not a clue anymore haven't loaded them in years.