The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2002, 01:00 PM   #1
knuckledragger

Removing Camouflage

I recently obtained a Mossberg 500. It has a homemade camouflage paint job that I want to remove. Much on the paint on the receiver comes off with my thumbnail w/o damaging the finish, but the barrels pose a more difficult challenge. Some of the paint comes off with a cleaning brush or my thumb-nail, but most remains. Lightly using a razor blade damages the blueing, so that stopped quickly. Anybody have a recommendation on how to tackle this one?
Old May 14, 2002, 04:21 PM   #2
mikexcop

try nail polish remover non acetone by cutex that what i use it seamed not to hurt the blueing and after you remove the pant coat with so good gun oil hope it works out for you mike
Old May 15, 2002, 05:15 AM   #3
knuckledragger

Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works. My wife or daughters should have some of that stuff sitting around some where.
Old May 22, 2002, 03:32 PM   #4
knuckledragger

mike- gave it a try. It took the surface stuff off OK, but the layer directly bonded to the bluing wouldn't come off at all. I contacted Mossberg. I intended on having the bbl's reblued and the slug bbl ported and asked them if they'd remove it and the answer was yes. Thanks for the assist. I owe my daughter a new bottle of nail polish remover. Will