The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 28, 2018, 08:42 PM   #1
stagpanther

Luth AR MBR 3

They were on sale at one of the tactical ninja suppliers--so I bought a couple and put one on my 284 win build. Seems very well made except for the lack of clearance of the charging handle when trying to set a short LOP.

See how it goes with a fresh batch of 162 eld's

Attached Images
File Type: jpg win284.jpg (127.7 KB, 161 views)
Old September 29, 2018, 06:10 AM   #2
9x19

That is a whole lotta butt-stock!
Old September 29, 2018, 07:22 AM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
That is a whole lotta butt-stock!
It is indeed--it's not for those looking for lightweight carbines. However does have nice adjustable buttpad and cheek riser (though I'll probably never use them given my lop and aforementioned conflict with charging handle). It does however have one very nice feature--a screw-down lock mechanism that removes all play between the buttstock and buffer tube.
Old September 29, 2018, 12:28 PM   #4
stagpanther

Went out to my local shooting gravel pit--being the weekend I was lucky and able to set up for 200yds since there was no activity in the quarry. Beautiful sunny and warm day--perfect for shooting.

After taking a half hour to get everything set up--the wind starts blowing. By the time I'm done with the first 4 shot set I knew it was going to be hopeless to get good results for the whole charge ladder--the winds were so strong the target box was moving around too much and I had to start to worry about the labradar blowing over and stuff getting knocked off the shooting table. Decided to call it a day and try again tomorrow.

The first three shots from the first group were going pretty well--and then I did my typical "choke-a-flier" on the fourth shot in the lower left. I think the Luth AR stock probably did help a bit with accuracy over the magpul ctr which I formally had on there by having not only a lock screw to grip the buffer tube but also a flat bottom surface for resting on a bag.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0558.JPG (116.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 284win 162eldx 46.4H4350 200yds.jpg (140.6 KB, 123 views)
Old September 30, 2018, 01:09 PM   #5
stagpanther

Went out again today at shot again at 200yds--and the winds had backed off considerably. Unfortunately, I did a poor job of setting up and shooting--so my groups were not especially good, I'll have to retest the whole ladder at some point. This is the best I could do, other groups were worse.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 284win 162eldx 50H4350 200yds.jpg (136.7 KB, 101 views)
Old September 30, 2018, 06:28 PM   #6
bfoosh006

How did you like the stock ?

And those are good groups for 200yds... especially for load development !
Old September 30, 2018, 07:53 PM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
How did you like the stock ?

And those are good groups for 200yds... especially for load development !
I like it for the reasons already mentioned above--namely the lock screw for a snug fit to the buffer tube and the fact that it has a deep level bottom--that tends to sit better on a bag than say a slanted bottom. The big limitation is the cheek riser blocks full rear travel of the charging handle when adjusted with the buttstock to shorten the length of pull. I end up not using the riser, though my scope mounts are fairly low anyway. I think bigger people who prefer longer LOP's might benefit more than a fairly small guy like me. I got it complete with buffer tube, buffer, castle nut and end plate for $99 from delta tactical--so well worth it even with the limitations IMO.

Thanks about the groups--I wouldn't be blaming myself if I didn't know the rifle can shoot MUCH better than that. Thanks go to McGowen barrels for making me a made-to-order one-off barrel that shoots better than I can.
Old October 1, 2018, 11:36 PM   #8
gshayd

Purchased two of the MBA3 for my MDT Chassis builds. I like them.