The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 16, 2018, 11:53 AM   #26
RC20

The flip to not cleaning is when they go bad, they go really bad. Our family 270 was shooting 2.5 inches with factory, it had been a tack driver. Reloads were 1.5 inches which si ok, but not what it did at one time.

I took a look and found it carboned to the hilt. Took me hours even with my proven fluids to get it clean.,

Result, a bit under an MOA. Shots of 400 yards are not uncommon with Caribou. 250 is common. Moving animal and a badly landed shot, no thank you.
Old October 16, 2018, 02:53 PM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
Self-described paranoid assumption proven wrong. My guns are rarely "cleaned" and I have never seen any negative effects. If they're exposed to water, I wipe them down and leave a light oil coating on parts prone to corrosion. The bore gets cleaned if accuracy degrades. That can be a really long time. Years even.

Some folks like to clean their guns. That's great. I don't. In fact, I hate it. I used to clean every time I shot them... which made me not want to shoot because I "knew" I "had" to clean them if I did. I was wrong. It doesn't hurt a thing to leave them "dirty", assuming you're not using some esoteric cartridge with ancient corrosive ammo or primers.
I'm the polar opposite--I aways clean after every use--and like you have never noticed significant degradation of accuracy due to cleaning alone. In fact I'll usually run a clean patch before use as well--mostly to make sure the chamber and bore are totally free of anything.