The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 20, 2017, 09:42 AM   #1
DMK

Who loves 20" barreled AR Rifles?

You don't see many 20" AR builds anymore. Have any of you guys bought or built any 20" ARs lately?

There have been some great sales on AR parts this Fall, so I decided to build a 20" barreled lightweight AR rifle with modern features (Quality parts, good optics for both close in and distance, free floated barrel, QD attachment points for slings, lights, etc).

This one is built on a pre-Cerberus Bushmaster lower that I purchased at a gunshow back around 2002. I refreshed that with a milsurp A1 pistol grip and a Cav Arms C1 stock from the spare parts box and bought an RRA NM Varmint trigger on sale.

The upper is an Aero Precision with no forward assist. The 1/8 twist QPQ Nitride Faxon barrel has a 5.56 chamber and light 'Gunner' profile . The FS is a YHM Phantom. The Spinta Precision angle cut BCG is also QPQ Nitride treated, along with a Cryo treated and MPI bolt. The free float handguard is an Aero Precision Atlas S-One (very slim and light). The Israeli sling is just temporary and attached with paracord. (I'm still trying to decide what to do sling wise)

The BUIS are Magpul Mbus Pros, the optic is Primary Arms new 1-8x ACSS (with an MK Machine Throw lever). The QD optic mount is a 30mm American Defense AD-RECON STD.

I'm really happy with this configuration. It's like a 20" carbine. Lightweight and feels very handy. The longer barrel will allow for the best velocity and flatter trajectory from the 75-77gr bullets I plan to shoot from it (I'll zero it with 77gr Mk262).

Last edited by DMK; November 20, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:03 AM   #2

I have been into ARs since the 1980s. I have pretty much followed the various popular trends; from all the rails and add-ons to SBRs........................

At this point, I have pretty much come full circle: I like 20" barrels with no rails and a fixed stock. I still have the first AR I ever owned which is a SP1. I like everything about it other than the fixed carry handle and the lack of a forward assist.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Nathan

I'm mid build on a 20".....

Magpul PRS
Spikes Upper and Lower
Armalite LPK
Geisselle High Speed
WOA 20" mid weight barrel
Superlative Adj Gas Block
Miculek comp
ALG Handguard V1
ADM mount
Old November 20, 2017, 10:21 AM   #4
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 View Post
I have been into ARs since the 1980s. I have pretty much followed the various popular trends; from all the rails and add-ons to SBRs........................

At this point, I have pretty much come full circle: I like 20" barrels with no rails and a fixed stock. I still have the first AR I ever owned which is a SP1. I like everything about it other than the fixed carry handle and the lack of a forward assist.
Just curious, how often do you need to use the forward assist?
Old November 20, 2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Charlie98

Because I trained on an M-16, the first AR I ever bought was a 20" Colt after I was out. Shorty-barrel AR's are handy, no doubt, but the 20" AR is a rifleman's rifle. Of course, I'm a minimalist... my Colt is basically box stock (I did change the grip...) and my most-used carbine is as lightweight as I can get it... no optic or red dot, no junk hanging on it.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:35 AM   #6
doofus47

I have a Vietnam-era upper that is 20". I like to take that one plinking when I'm plinking with my AR.
Part of the allure, though, is the iron sights. Optics are nice, but I like irons for just sitting around and chasing cans.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:51 AM   #7
bfoosh006

I fire 20" AR's about 80% of the time... I prefer them.

BTW, a couple of dabs of Rubber Cement will keep the front lens cap from working loose.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:22 AM   #8
rickyrick

20” inch government issued m16 fit me best. In civilian life, the 20” has eluded me. I will get one as my next maybe.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:37 PM   #9
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I'm mid build on a 20".....

Magpul PRS
Spikes Upper and Lower
Armalite LPK
Geisselle High Speed
WOA 20" mid weight barrel
Superlative Adj Gas Block
Miculek comp
ALG Handguard V1
ADM mount
That sounds like it's going to be nice. What kind of optic will you be using on that?
Old November 20, 2017, 12:45 PM   #10
DMK

Quote:
...no optic or red dot, no junk hanging on it.
Quote:
...iron sights. Optics are nice, but I like irons for just sitting around and chasing cans.
It's kind of ironic that conversations about 20" ARs always seems to go back to rifles with iron sights.

I like fixed carry handle KISS ARs as much as anyone (I have an A1 clone, A2 clone, a pencil barrel A1 carbine and I love them), but it seems ironic to me to put the capability for more accurate long range shots with a red dot or magnified optic on a carbine, yet a beautifully light weight pencil barrel 20" gets only iron sights.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:33 PM   #11

ATN082268

I am not going down the forward assist rabbit hole. Lots of people get highly wound up about it and can't wait to tell you how their version of the story IS the ONLY version of the story. There is no: "in my opinion", or "I believe...." it's always a line drawn in the sand where you either agree with them or you are an idiot.

Suffice it to say that I have been shooting AR15s or M16s since 1981. I served in the military, and I owned my own AR15 since about 1983. I have put tens of thousands of rounds down range. I own probably 10 or 12 of them right now. I prefer to have a forward assist. I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it. I have been on internet gun forums for many years and seen people express their opinion on this enough times to have read all the arguments pro and con. I made up my own mind based on my own experience long ago.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Last edited by 444; November 20, 2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:37 PM   #12
COSteve

I have 2 ARs currently of which 1 is a RRA mid length carbine I got in 2004 and the other is a RRA A4 I got in 2006. Of the 2, I'm partial to my 20" A4 because I have it set up for longer range shooting between 400-500yds. My targets are medium sized apples and I handload 68grn Hornady loads for it.

It's a bit unusual as I've added a set of real walnut furniture to it including a custom made walnut target pistol grip I made for it. It sports a 12x scope, Enidine buffer, and tuned RRA NM trigger and it's a ton of fun shooting. Apples 400+yds is a real challenge but that's what makes it fun. Aim small, miss small.

Old November 20, 2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Wyosmith

My only 20" is a fairly heavy rifle I made in 6.8SPC. It is very accurate and I have taken quite a few deer and antelope with it. I used a steel free-float sleeve and GI hand-guards and stock.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:01 PM   #14
RickB

The only one I have (uh, had, prior to that boating accident) is a 20", so, while I don't really love the AR at all, I do like the ballistics of the long barrel.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:17 PM   #15
burrhead

A couple of years ago while looking at my parts inventory I figured out I had everything to build another AR except a barrel and FCG. Built an A4 with a Windham Weaponry Govt profile barrel, QMS trigger and an old Stag detachable carry handle. It's a fun change from a duded up M4gery or my 13#, 24" varmint rig.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; November 20, 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:17 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

All that I have left for fairly standard chamberings are 20" tubes, unless you count the golf ball launcher upper with an 18.5" barrel ... but it only sees blanks.

I don't play "Operators and Indians" on the weekends, so I don't see the point in the shorter barrels with fairly standard cartridges. (I'm using the rather ambiguous "fairly standard" qualifier because I'm running 6x45mm and .223/5.56 'Match' chambers.)

For varmints and targets, I like a longer barrel.
For hunting, I step up to a big bore. (And a 14.5" barrel w/ pinned and welded brake.)

I've had some 16.5" .223/5.56 uppers, but the shorter barrel really wasn't a necessity. The way that I used those rifles didn't justify it.
And, of course, I find the recoil impulse of a rifle-length gas system to be smoother and more pleasant.

I like the 20" barrels.
The next build, a .17-223, may even see a 24" barrel in an attempt to maximize velocity. (Mini .220 Swift.)
Old November 20, 2017, 03:31 PM   #17
Nathan

Quote:
That sounds like it's going to be nice. What kind of optic will you be using on that?
Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32 BDC. . .supposed to be a 50-600type DMR rifle.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:42 PM   #18
smee78

I plan on my next build to be a 20", I like a long barrel AR and built a 24" just because I did not have one so now that that's checked off the list a 20" is in order.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:53 PM   #19
cookie5

I love the 20 inch ARs. Carbines are for fun though.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:57 PM   #20
DMK

Quote:
I don't play "Operators and Indians" on the weekends, so I don't see the point in the shorter barrels...
LOL. I hadn't heard that one.

I do like playing Cowboys and IPSCs though.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:15 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

To me, the performance at high velocity is the "why" of a .223. So, better a 20" than some lesser length.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:38 PM   #22
langenc

Have a 25/45 Sharps-20" that I sat in the woods this eve with. No deer. maybe tomorrow.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:31 PM   #23
Charlie98

Quote:
It's kind of ironic that conversations about 20" ARs always seems to go back to rifles with iron sights.

I like fixed carry handle KISS ARs as much as anyone (I have an A1 clone, A2 clone, a pencil barrel A1 carbine and I love them), but it seems ironic to me to put the capability for more accurate long range shots with a red dot or magnified optic on a carbine, yet a beautifully light weight pencil barrel 20" gets only iron sights.
It's kind of funny... I built a 16" carbine for my buddy, he initially put an EOTech on it, which I thought was appropriate. Then he puts a multiplier on it. Then he takes it off and puts a 1X4'ish scope on it, because he can't see to shoot it at 100yds. I asked him why he wanted a 16" barrel in the first place...

Maybe because I trained on peeps, I still shoot them very well and have them on pretty much everything I can fit them on. Peeps on a 20" AR is still a very capable package.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:36 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Quote:
LOL. I hadn't heard that one.

I do like playing Cowboys and IPSCs though.
Old November 21, 2017, 07:35 AM   #25
DMK

Quote:
It's kind of funny... I built a 16" carbine for my buddy, he initially put an EOTech on it, which I thought was appropriate. Then he puts a multiplier on it. Then he takes it off and puts a 1X4'ish scope on it, because he can't see to shoot it at 100yds. I asked him why he wanted a 16" barrel in the first place...
Quote:
To me, the performance at high velocity is the "why" of a .223. So, better a 20" than some lesser length.
I feel the same way.

Everybody is gaga over M4s and operator length SBRs these days. I've had guys chastise me for a 20" barreled HD gun. Just because the guys fighting MOUT in Iraq felt the M4 was the best choice for them, doesn't mean that's best for me in rural woodland country.

Quote:
Maybe because I trained on peeps, I still shoot them very well and have them on pretty much everything I can fit them on. Peeps on a 20" AR is still a very capable package.
I love the irons on the AR15s. IMO, they are the best sights to ever come standard on a rifle. If I still had 20/20 vision, I'd be using them a lot more. Irons are still usable for me, but a good variable magnification optic with an illuminated reticle is very much better.