The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 19, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Wildernesshunter

Modern Taurus Tracker - 44 Mag

I have read several posts on several forums that the Taurus Tracker in either 357 and 44..... revealed a lot of problems. Nearly all those posts came between 2005-2008.

In 2017, going into 2018...... has Taurus fixed the problems and is it now a good handgun?

Does anyone have any experience with a Tracker that was purchased in the past 3 years or so?

????????
Old November 19, 2017, 01:47 PM   #2
tallball

I got one in 22lr/22 magnum (cool interchangeable cylinders) about three years ago. The double-action trigger could charitably be called mediocre. However, the single-action isn't bad and it is surprisingly accurate for a four inch barrel. It has never given me any trouble. The fit and finish are good.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:30 AM   #3
squidmp

I have a 44 Tracker 4" purchased back in 2010 and have about 1,000 rounds through it and no issues. Doable action is kinda heavy, but usable. Single action is short, crisp and light.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Wildernesshunter

Found a guy on Armslist that won a Tracker in an auction. Bought it from him today for $400, brand new, in box.... unfired. Beautiful gun and headed to the range on Wednesday.

Old November 20, 2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Carmady

Is that a "big bore" revolver?
Old November 21, 2017, 05:36 PM   #6
squidmp

Taurus calls it a compact frame. It is about the same size as a S@W K-frame (roughly).

They are a blast to shoot, however when firing Winchester white box 240 grn, or larger you will get a good work out.

When I first got mine, went through a whole box of the 240 grn in one sitting and boy were were my arms and shoulders sore the next day.

Full on 180 grn is much easier on the body or downloaded ammo.

Then again for even more relaxed shooting, you can use Special, Long or, 44 Russian if you can find it.

Wildernesshunter, El Paso Saddlery makes an excellent inside the waist holster for it. Yes this pistol can be conceal carried easily.

As to speed loaders, if you like the rounds ones, the ones for the charter bulldog will work with no issues.

Enjoy shooting it as I know you will have a blast.

P.S. Wear doable hearing protection as the ported barrel is Very, Very load and will have a entire shooting range stopping to look your way to determine what the heck you are shooting.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Snub357

Can you make the photo LARGER?
Old November 21, 2017, 11:38 PM   #8
Sequins

I love shooting a gun so loud people on the range turn to look even despite their hearing protection. I was once shooting my .44 magnum and overheard the gentleman to my side say to his shooting partner "I didn't realize we allowed artillery on this range". I smiled and loaded another cylinder.
Old November 22, 2017, 08:39 PM   #9
squidmp

Sequins, totally agree!
I use outdoor ranges only firing mine, could not fathom how loud it would be on an indoor range.
Old November 28, 2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Wildernesshunter

I live out in the country, so my local farm store is where I try to get my reloading supplies. If they don't have it, then Midway usually gets my business.

On the way from Midway are the RCBC dies, 200 new pieces of brass and 250 Nosler, 240gr JSP's.

Today at the farm store, I only had one choice of powder from their limited supply..... Hodgdon HP-38 and some Winchester Large Pistol Magnum Primers.

HP-38 appears to be decent, but wondering if anyone has had experience with this powder????