The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2012, 03:36 AM   #1
0128shot

Newbie Question

Hey guys Im new to reloading and just made my first batch of ammo.
Now my question is if the recipe I used is safe, since there was no exact recipe anywhere I just wanted to make sure.

Bullet- Hornady HP/XTP 147gr
Primer- CCI Small Pistol #500
Powder- 4.0 gr of Unique
OAL- 1.145"

Id appreciate all the help I could get, Thanks
Old February 20, 2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Powderman

You didn't list the caliber, but from the bullet you listed, it sounds like 9mm Parabellum/Luger.

Going to the Alliant Powder website, and entering their online Reloader's Guide, I see a recipe for a 147 grain Speer Gold Dot HP that states a max load as 4.3 of Unique, with your same primer, and an OAL of 1.13 inches. The difference in OAL might well be the length of the bullet.

You have reduced your start load, which is good--even though with the 4.0 load it's not reduced 10%. From my experience, you should be safe.

For your first range outing, take your calipers with you. Measure the following before firing: diameter of the case measured at the web (down near the extraction groove, and the diameter of the case head (rim) itself.

Load and fire ONE round only.

Now, perform the same measurements again. There should not be any substantial change.

Also watch for:

Swaged out primer (the groove between the outer radius of the primer when seated and the primer pocket wall seems to have disappeared);

Bright circles on the outer part of the rim (the impression of the extractor recess)

Headstamp ironing (the headstamp being made indistinct or blurred)

Any of these tell you that your load is too hot for the pistol. Back off on the powder charge.

If you see any of the following:

Blown primer (a hole punched clear through the primer cup)
Bulged case (a bulge right at the case web)
Primer completely MISSING...

These are serious DANGER signs. These signs are telling you that you are on the knife edge of disaster; in short, you are dropping the hammer on a BOMB.

Remember to use a nice, tight taper crimp for your loaded 9mm ammunition; this will prevent bullet setback (the bullet being forced deeper into the case upon feeding). This can easily TRIPLE chamber pressures, and will more than likely blow up your gun, and cause your injury.

Best of luck to you! Post results when you can make it to the range.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
g20gunny

Watch that crimp!

Another thing to watch is your crimp, use calipers to make sure your crimp isnt too hard. On auto cartridges such as 9mm, 40sw, 45, 10mm they head space on the case mouth and too much crimp will let the case slip into the bore raising pressure dramatically. I know this as a medium load in my 45acp 1911 went kaboom during my learning years of reloading. If your new to reloading I would recomend starting with a revolver round like a cheap 38spl/357 mag, they are much easier and more forgiving than auto cartridges. IMHO

Tags
9mm , reloading