The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Better shotgun
Remington 870 express 108 52.17%
Mossberg 500 99 47.83%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 27, 2009, 03:37 PM   #76
KingEdward

I have a mossberg 500 and love it.

An in-law bought the Remington 870 and loves it.

We have each shot both guns and I would not hesitate to go with either.

Both are reliable, accurate, and a real value for the money.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:47 AM   #77
john1911

Either one will serve more than adequately for a home defense gun.

Both models have raving fanboys touting their preferred brand. Anyone with a lick of sense can see either will work and both have a proven track record.

The 870 Express may required that the chamber be polished before it works reliably. Not that hard to do or time consuming. This is what led me to choose the 500. It's my opinion that a new gun should work right out of the box.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:48 AM   #78
Regolith

As most have already stated, either will work.

Quote:
The 870 Express may required that the chamber be polished before it works reliably. Not that hard to do or time consuming. This is what led me to choose the 500. It's my opinion that a new gun should work right out of the box.
Mine didn't. While this does seem to come up somewhat often with 870 expresses, the vast majority of them probably don't need to be polished, just cleaned (Remington covers their guns in some kind of brown gunk to protect from rusting before they ship, and they need to be cleaned fairly well before use).
Old April 29, 2009, 01:34 AM   #79
inSight-NEO

Ahh..Once again, the Benelli SNT is left out of the poll. Sad, sad, sad......
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old April 29, 2009, 05:38 AM   #80
irishzen

If you actually shoot the gun you buy, you are going to want to get familiar with cleaning it.

Why wouldn't you clean it before you fire it?
Old April 29, 2009, 08:54 AM   #81
Kmar40

Quote:
(Remington covers their guns in some kind of brown gunk to protect from rusting before they ship, and they need to be cleaned fairly well before use).
As does Mossberg. At least mine did. If you don't clean them first, that stuff forms a very hard shellack that is almost impossible to remove. Even the Wallyworld employee warned me to clean it first.

I wonder how many of these failure to extract or failure to feed are due to lack of cleaning.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you clean it before you fire it?
My guess? 90% don't clean it. Probably 85% don't clean after firing either.

You don't have to clean a gun on video games and most of the current crop of gun experts learned all they know from there.

Quote:
...and the choice of law enforcement nationwide. I read an estimate of 500,000 870s in service in PDs all over the USA.
I'll bet that is low, but who knows. Anyone who argues that either the 500/590 (used by the military) or the 870 (used by police) is inadequate really has no credibility in my eyes.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:23 PM   #82
doh_312

Ha! I tipped the scale 65-64 in favor of Rem
Old April 29, 2009, 01:17 PM   #83
johnwilliamson062

Neck and Neck!!!
I agree with Kmar that both guns are excellent,
It really depends which has better ergonomics. For me that was clearly the 500.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:51 AM   #84
RangerHAAF

I love the Remington as I've accessorized mine to look, feel and shoot like like an AR.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:53 AM   #85
Regolith

Quote:
I wonder how many of these failure to extract or failure to feed are due to lack of cleaning.
Probably the majority of them, which is why when I see a thread on it, I usually recommend cleaning first, if it had not been attempted already.

I didn't know Mossberg covered their guns in the same stuff, but then I've never owned one. Maybe if I ever get around to getting a pure HD gun, I might; my 870 is serving double duty as a bird gun and an HD gun atm, and the 870 was chosen mainly because it fit a bit better, which is more crucial for shooting birds than it is for self defense.
Old May 3, 2009, 05:53 PM   #86
Kmar40

Quote:
I love the Remington as I've accessorized mine to look, feel and shoot like like an AR.
Really? What kind of mod is this? Magazine fed? Mag release and safety location? Some kind of drastic recoil reduction system? Please tell.
Old May 4, 2009, 06:57 PM   #87
inSight-NEO

Better? Thats a very subjective word. Which one is "best" for you...thats more objective.

I prefer Mossberg, but not because it is necessarily a better gun; rather because I prefer certain features of the Mossberg (in my case the 590) vs the 870 (Im assuming you mean the Express model). As an example, the main feature which sold me on purchasing a Mossberg was the receiver mounted safety. To me, given the stressful, adrenaline pumping nature of an HD encounter, I felt that the safety location on the 590 would not require quite as much "finite" or dexterous manipulation vs. the trigger guard mounted safety of the 870. Does this make the 870 a "bad" HD weapon? Not at all. My decision was based on preference and nothing more.

Either gun will be good for HD as it should be less about the brand here and more about features. Both have strengths and weaknesses. For the Mossberg, its main weakness is the mag spring. Once this is properly replaced (with, for instance, a Wolff spring), this particular issue essentially disappears. Does this make the Mossberg junk? Not at all. Its just one of those details that, for some reason, was left unattended to by those who make the gun.

Both the Mossberg and Remington are good guns which simply have their own unique set of problems (which can be dealt with). Ive never thought of one as being "better" than the other; rather I simply think of them as "different" from one another.

Most "HD" shotguns will by Cyl. or Improved Cyl. bores w/ barrels ranging from 18" to 20." Outside of this, the rest basically boils down to what you prefer and again, which weapon "feels" best to you.

Frankly, whats going on between the ears, so to speak, has more to do with HD than the brand of shotgun you are using.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 4, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:08 AM   #88
VVG

[Rather than start a new thread this old one is being resurrected]

We inherited a 1981 Remington 870 Police from my father-in-law. Really nice gun and shoots well.

But both my wife and I are left-handed, while all our kids are right-handed. I bought the left-hand trigger assembly to convert the 870 for LH use, but having a non-standard configuration has some issues. Remington does not make a left-handed HD configuration and the Ithacas are hard to find.

Bottom line, mainly for the top-mounted safety, I just ordered a six round 20 gage Mossberg with 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and synthetic furniture. The model # is 50452. It was $340 delivered at the local gun shop. I purchased some slugs and #3 buckshot for it as well.

There are two other HD 20 ga models, the 50450 (same as 50452 but pistol grip only) and 50145, with a 20" barrel.

Pictures and specs on the specs page.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:36 AM   #89
Tommy Vercetti

Remington easy
Old October 18, 2009, 09:50 AM   #90
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So this'n was not considered?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/39622
Only $265

Brent
Old October 18, 2009, 09:55 AM   #91
Waterengineer

Fact: 870 everytime because of length of service and parts availability.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:01 AM   #92
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Water, The 500 is only 10 years younger than the 870. I know of no parts limitations with the mossberg either. The Mossberg is more "user serviceable" than the 870 as well.
Brent
Old October 18, 2009, 01:54 PM   #93
OlympicArmsFan

I tell you I keep looking and going back and forth to Mossberg 500 or 870 Remington.

The Mossberg at Buds Gun shop is a 20" barrle 7+1 and close to 100 bucks cheaper then any gun shop in my local area on a 500. The price of the gun after FFL charge and 3% credit card charge its a $330 shot gun.

The Remington 870 Express at Buds Gun Shop is a lot cheaper as well then local shops selling them used or new. Im seeing used guns going for 275 with a 26" barrel. I would have to buy the barrel I want after that and I would be at the price of a new Mossberg or Remington from Buds.

The Remington 870 express at Buds Gun shop is 328 right now and after FFL charge and 3% credit card charge its a 360 shotgun. The only thing that is making me not jump at this deal is its a 6+1 20" so I would have to get a mag extension not a big deal but I still have to pay more later for what I can have now in the Mossberg.

I keep reading and I keep getting confussed at what one I should buy.

I want a good HD gun and one that can take the battle field as well. So what one should I look at now?

I voted for price wise Mossberg 500 and if your on a budget I just feel thats a good 12ga to have. Im still in the process of figuring out what one to get but I think it will be a Mossberg.

Last edited by OlympicArmsFan; October 18, 2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Voted for price wise
Old October 18, 2009, 02:14 PM   #94
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Both the Moss and Rem are durable platforms and both are currently serving in the sand box.

The reason I originally chose mossbergs was the fact that my first gun was a Mossberg .410 bolt action my dad gave me. It was also his first centerfire gun new in the mid 50's.

Mossberg still has some family in the firm runnin' the company.

The attributes that keep me from considering any other lower cost guns are the location of the safety and action release tab on the 500. with their locations I can mount the gun to my shoulder and with my trigger hand in fire ready position, operate both controls comfortably, quickly and accurately.
Brent
Old October 18, 2009, 03:55 PM   #95
Levers

Dick's

Newb here.

My local Dick's has a sale this week on the Mossberg 500 12ga with combo field and deer slug barrels. $269 plus tax. I believe it's the 28" field and I'm not sure on the slug barrel, if it's rifled or not.

I have been in the market for a 28" field set up and could use the slug barrel for HD, especially if it's the smoth bore for buckshot, although I would prefer 18 1/2" for that purpose. Still may be to good a deal to pass up.

Don't deer hunt anymore as age has kind of caught up with me, but I have gotten into shooting some clay's on a tight retirement budget and that's why I'm looking at the 28" field.

Will have to sell my Winchester 94 30/30 to finance the deal, probably will post it here when I have met the posting and time requirements.

What would the members think of this possibility and price on the mossberg.

Thanks - Levers
Old October 18, 2009, 04:13 PM   #96
5whiskey

I voted for the 870 because I think the action slides a tad bit slicker, and the F&F appears nicer to me. For home defense, I really like the manual of arms of the mossberg better. The thumb safety is much easier to hit. All in all, I honestly would have a hard time choosing between either one if the price were the same (which mostly they are close).
Old October 18, 2009, 05:04 PM   #97
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For that price... JUMP ON IT!!!
If it is a rifled slug barrel it will likely also have the rifle sights. This barrel is not ideal for HD but should sell as "unfired new" for the hundred bucks that the 18.5 smoothbore will set you back. And you still have the 28 with accu-choke threads.
Brent
Old October 18, 2009, 05:21 PM   #98
Levers

Thanks Brent

That's what I thought.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:04 PM   #99
mp25ds4

I have no idea how this thread made it back up here but heres what i ended up with:

Old October 20, 2009, 11:17 AM   #100
VVG

I resurrected it rather than start another Mossberg versus Remington thread.

So when the Mossber arrives, I'll have both.