The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2004, 08:06 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

This is a weird question for hunters - help please if you can

OK, I brought home a doe last weekend in the ice chest (that another guy shot - he said if I gutted it, I could have it - he was squeamish and didn't want to gut it because it had been gut shot). Anyway, my problem is this (don't laugh). The ice chest sat around the house for a couple of days with plenty of ice until I could get to it and wrap it up and put in freezer. The meat is fine. However, unfortunately, the drainage plug on the ice chest was open during that time, unbenownst to me, and the melted ice mixed with some blood etc., drained out onto my carpet, and now it smells pretty weird - not horribly bad, but bad - and, it seems to get worse, not better with each passing hour and day - what do I do to de-funkify this? I sprayed lysol on the carpet, but that didn't seem to help. Also, to exacerbate the problem, the ice chest sat in several different places the first couple days of this week, so I'm not even sure that I can pinpoint all the places the funky water might have drained onto the carpet - time for a steam clean job? Any home remedies for this particular problem of dead deer smell? Thanks.
Old December 1, 2004, 08:58 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

Time for a steam clean.

If you want, try a bit of Carpet deodorizer (made for pet odors) and a good vacuum. No real tricks to getting rid of deer smell save for a good washing. Deer smells kinda musky (I boiled the hide off a set of antlers today in the kitchen while the girlfriend was away.....).
Old December 1, 2004, 10:03 PM   #3
Subby

Meat tenderizer maybe? It's supposed to work on bloodstains on clothes. No personal experience with it myself.

Sub
Old December 1, 2004, 10:06 PM   #4
joab

Oxyclean
Old December 1, 2004, 10:13 PM   #5
draco9936

Steam clean works best, worked for me on carpet in back of truck.but get to it sooner rather then later.(bissel stuff works pretty good). Good Luck
Old December 1, 2004, 10:28 PM   #6
joab

Oxyclean in a steam cleaner