The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2017, 03:26 AM   #1
simonrichter

Steyr AUG - opinions, experiences...?

I have been reassigned to the Ready Reserve (kind of National Guard) here in Austria due to all that terrorism scare. We're going to have our first weapons training soon and the main infantry weapon is of course the Austrian-made Steyr AUG. Thing is I have been trained on the FN FAL back in my days and so I'm curious for opinions, experience and advice on the AUG. Pretty sure among all the ARs and AKs there must be some gun fans appreciating Austrian quality
..?
Old October 25, 2017, 05:55 AM   #2
ttarp

I like mine quite a bit, plan to get another in fact. Size and balance are what I like the most about the AUG, its also pretty modular, and easy to clean.
Old October 25, 2017, 09:13 AM   #3
bfoosh006

While I have never owned one... every review I have read has been positive.

I would like one, but the versatility of the AR platform ( over here ) has tied up most of my gunny money.

If you could, please let us know your thoughts and observations after using it.

I, for one, would love to hear about our Austrian friends opinions on the Steyr.
Old October 25, 2017, 11:24 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

I worked with one & quite liked most things about it.

The only reasons I didn't keep it were the weight & the fact that I was already so well set up with & for AR-15s that the expense wasn't worth switching over at my stage of life.

I first encountered the AUG back in the early 1980s, but it's only been fairly recently that an easily available US version made to quality levels I wanted has become available.

Had the sample I worked with a year or two ago been buyable in the 80s, I would have gone that route all along, instead of the AR.
Denis
Old October 25, 2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Sevens

My brother Karl loved his and used it often, but he had a horrendous temper that ultimately led to his demise, he was gunned down in front of the Nakatomi Plaza by Sargeant Al Powell of the LAPD. This was on a fateful day back in 1988... it was a tragic day for my family as I had lost another brother earlier in the evening in the same building.

Those guys never invited me to any of their cool outings. Sibling rivalry.

Apologies for my humor, SOMEONE was going to mention it, figured I would give it a shot.
Old October 25, 2017, 03:36 PM   #6
mellow_c

I've had experience with a couple AUG A3 rifles.

I really enjoyed both of them. Found them to be good shooters at 100 yards with simple red dot sights, getting around 1 & 1/2" groups if I remember correctly.

They are VERY soft shooting in my opinion. The smooth feel of every shot from these rifles is something I've always found to be enjoyable and impressive.

They are also made with quality materials. I believe they have cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels.

And in my experience they are very reliable.

If your going to be using a government owned rifle I have no idea what kind of optics you'll have available, or if it will come with the integrated scope. But on the A3 with the raised rail its easy to mount optics too high for a good cheek wield. AR height optics and iron sights are way too high. HK height sights work a lot better, but you could go even lower if you don't have a big head and fat face.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old October 25, 2017, 03:37 PM   #7
Joe-ker

^^^^^bahahahahahahaha!

Thanks sevens
Old October 25, 2017, 05:20 PM   #8
COSteve

While I don't own one, a friend has an early version with the 1½ power, small red circle sight. It's design means the weight is back on your shoulder so it feels lighter than it is, and even though it has a 20" barrel, it handles like a SBR. The folding forward vertical grip feels awkward to me both down or folded up like a handguard, but then, I'm not a fan of vertical grips to begin with.

His is reliable as heck and comes apart really easily for cleaning. His trigger was so - so but it's not really a tackdriver platform anyway because the sighting system is hard for me to precision aim with. Overall, I guess it makes sense, however, I'm just not a fan of the Bullpup design so to me if feels weird.

BTW, he's left handed so he has it set up with a lefthanded bolt so it will eject out the left side of the stock by his face. It takes him about 1 minute to switch out the bolt and swap this plastic plug to make it shoot right handed. That part is pretty cool but overall, I'm not a fan of the design.

It's a bullpup design I'm not fond of and it's a plastic and aluminum design that makes it look somewhat like a toy, especially with that high optic. But hey, if the Goberment says, "This is what you use." then you should salute smartly and say, "Yes sir."
Old October 25, 2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Doc TH

AUG

One of my sons owned one. It was a high quality rifle, very pleasant and comfortable to carry and to shoot, and quite accurate. I believe it is also the standard rifle for the Irish forces (in their U.N. based deployments) and when I was in Luxembourg last year I noted their armed forces carried the AUG.
Old October 26, 2017, 03:42 AM   #10
jughead2

had the chance to shoot 2 different ones several years ago a friend was furnishing the ammo. shot several hundred rounds through the 2 weapons. going to brag just a bit hit 3 out of five beer cans at 300 yards with that 1.5 scope. long time ago cant do it now but loved those 2 rifles. this was shooting from a 4 wheeler
Old October 26, 2017, 04:57 AM   #11
Brit

I sold the AUG for the factory, in Canada for a while. To Police, tactical teams.

The models they shipped to me were full auto, by the manufacturer, but with semi-auto trigger groups. The difference in semi-auto, and full auto?
The full-auto trigger group would not fit in the civilian model.
But head shots were easy at 100m.

If you are issued the original 1.5 power scope, it has great light gathering ability. And it is really easy to use. I taught the hold the front of the trigger guard, with the support left hand, did not like the folding handle, it caused the left elbow to stick out in a "Shoot my elbow kind of way!"

Being able to see the cartridges in the transparent magazine was neat, if you could see one round in the magazine, you had 15 left!

If you are issued the military model, the first depression of the trigger is single shot, pull the trigger fully to the rear! Full-auto. Not something to give to a 21-year-old Police Officer, so I would not process requests for the Mil-Spec trigger groups. I could not own one to demo, as a non-Police Officer in Canada. You should take only a couple of hours to become proficient with the AUG! Great piece of kit.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:23 PM   #12
simonrichter

Thank y'all for the insights so far! Yes, we're using the older version with the integrated 1 1/2 sight. Back in my service days they seemed soo futuristic as compared to the old FN FAL my platoon where issued. Guess it will take a while before we get the newest version - we also sport the old helmets that are being outphased with the regular units now...
Old November 5, 2017, 06:22 AM   #13
simonrichter

Update: Had my first training yesterday (no live firing by now). The handling is indeed quite easy (more intutive than he AR platform, imho), and it feels lighter than it actually weights. Taking out the barrel takes a split second and makes it possible to include checking whether the barrel is free of obstructionc into the routine safety check (I was told they don't do that in other armed forces, at least not as part of the everyday safety routines...?)

Though I don't like the bullpub configuration as such, the ergonomics are fine and given that the system is not that much younger than the venerable AR15, it still looks somewhat futuristic, like the outer appearance or not.
Old November 7, 2017, 05:55 AM   #14
mellow_c

Glad you're happy with it so far!

I looked back and found some groups I took home, I think they were 4-5 shot groups with a red dot sight at 100 yards, and they measured about 1.25 inches!

I don't think I'd make a habit of taking the barrel out just to check for possible obstructions. That seems like it would cause unnecessary wear to all the contact surfaces that lock up the barrel. I'd probably just leave it until it was time to clean or disassemble, unless something happened that would leave me to believe the barrel might be obstructed. In my opinion of course

I hope yours shoots great once you get to live fire. Enjoy!

Last edited by mellow_c; November 7, 2017 at 06:02 AM.