The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 14, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Tido4570

Ruger mini 30 problems

I have a mini 30 that I have been shooting some wolf ammo through and I have been getting alot of non fires. There is a dent in the primer but it did not shoot. I know most of it is the ammo but if I changed firing pins, do you think that would help? I have 1-1/2 cases of the ammo I would like to use up.
Thanks,
Steve
Old July 14, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Young.Gun.612

Would that be a pin issue, or a spring issue?
Old July 14, 2010, 09:19 PM   #3
riverwalker76

Are you reaching full battery when the firing pin punches the primer? In other words ... is it fully chambered?

Also ... any way you can take a picture of the primer and post it here? Let me know if you can't.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Tido4570

I will get back to you on the picture
Old July 17, 2010, 07:03 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

You said it yourself. Hard primers on the ammo. I don't think swapping out firing pins would work inasmuch as a heavier hammer spring. Mind you, the tradeoff is that the recoiling bolt must have enough energy to overcome the hammer spring with sufficient energy so as to: (1) have the hammer engage the secondary sear so as to keep the hammer locked back (or you'll have the hammer follow the bolt forward); (2) have the bolt fully retract so as to eject the spent cartridge; (3) have the bolt fully retract so it can pick up a fresh cartridge from the magazine.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:46 PM   #6
gyvel

You might want to disassemble your bolt to see if you have crud or little bits of brass around the firing pin. Most likely problem, however, is the ammo itself with hard primers. The Mini 30 was never intended to be fired with Eastern Bloc ammo.
Old July 17, 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
rtpzwms

I had EXACTLY the same problem. Midway and others sell a heavy spring replacement part for the factory part. I think it was about 10 bucks. This will not completely cure the problem you might see one in 50-60 but its so much better than what you're going through. The primers on Wolf are VERY hard and are best used in a SKS of AK type weapon. I'm shooting out the wolf and will not be buying anymore for my Mini30. Also the wolf ammo uses a 311 projectile and the mini would like a 308 but can handle the other. You'll also see the chamber area will start looking red from the paint they used. It can be cleaned out but who wants one more thing to clean out?

I found one site:
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php

its listed as a extra power hammer spring.

Last edited by rtpzwms; July 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:38 PM   #8
44 Deerslayer

My Mini-30 had the same problem with several types of Russian ammo. The primers are made hard because the round was designed for the AK47 and with softer primers the AK has a tendency to slam fire.

I installed a heavier hammer spring from Wolff Gunsprings and it cured the problem.
Old February 15, 2011, 02:42 PM   #9
teknic111

"I installed a heavier hammer spring from Wolff Gunsprings and it cured the problem."

Have you experienced any rounds failing to fire with the new spring?
Old March 8, 2011, 01:39 PM   #10
dkaiser76

Wolff...XP + FTF = ***?

Greetings all...I purchased a Mini-30 recently, and have enjoyed it for the most part, but have also experienced some of the same issues previously discussed in this thread. Mainly, the Russian surplus ammo is crap (Herter's, Tulammo, Ulyanovsk, Wolf, etc.). Also, the bolt is a bitch to get in and out during cleaning.

Also, I installed both the Wolff...XP recoil and hammer springs, which should have helped, but now my FTF rate is even worse than before. That being said, I believe I have either reassembled improperly, or something is wrong with rifle (chambering, cycling, etc.).

I'm pretty sure the springs are both functioning properly, so this leads me to believe that the bolt is the culprit. Any FTF has a deep impact on the primer, but I noticed that the firing pin is no longer spring loaded for some reason. Any advice or input would be much appreciated!