The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Which .41 bullet for a Deerslaying Carbine?
210 grain Hornady XTP Hollowpoint--reliable expansion & cohesion with ample penetration 6 50.00%
250 grain Cast Performance GCWPFP--reliable penetration, and forget the rest! 3 25.00%
210 grain Remington JSP--split the difference on expansion, and buy a grillion bullets cheap! 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Chris W

Cast or Jacketed for Hunting w/a Marlin?

To my surprise and delight, I recently landed a Marlin 1894fg; a .41 mag, 20" carbine. Now that I have it, I plan to hunt North Carolina whitetail with it this Fall.

Assuming that I can produce equally accurate loads with the bullets shown--each moving, let's say, between 1750 and 1800 fps--which would you use (were you in my fortunate shoes ), and why?

I've always understood the reasoning behind a good JHP better than a cast bullet, myself; I mean, a bullet that punches through is just going to waste energy, I figure, and I guess I'd expect a 210 gr XTP to penetrate to a deer's vitals from any reasonable shot angle (might be a different story with big hogs or black bear). But there seem to be a lot of hardcore hardcast evangelists out there, and they can't all be wrong all the time, can they?

So what say you wise and wizened huntsmen? Help a fellow decide!
Old August 25, 2004, 01:36 PM   #2
SquirrelMan

I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that with whitetails, penetration isn't that much of a factor-espaecially if you are shooting at close ranges.

Now if you were going for hog, I would say that penetration is everything, but thin skinned whitetails are easily penetrated compared to hogs.

-SM
Old August 26, 2004, 02:15 AM   #3
leadbutt

Chris,nothing wrong with either one, but strickly for witetails I would use a holow point,either cast or jacketed,at lest 200 grain weight.Now if your going to throw in Bears and Hogs,go for the heaviest cast solid ,or jacket soft point you can find
Old October 12, 2004, 07:56 PM   #4
itsmike762

XTP for carbines

From what I have seen hunting whitetails with a handgun is that many times you just dont get enough FPS for a hollow point to expand but with XTPs out of my .44 carbine they sure do.
Old October 12, 2004, 08:33 PM   #5
stevelyn

For thin-skinned, light boned critters like whitetails you don't need a super bullet. The Remington JSP will be more than adequate for your purpose. It'll combine the best balance between expansion and penetration at reasonable ranges and shot angles.
Old October 12, 2004, 09:59 PM   #6
User Name

Couldn't have said it better myself, stevelyn!
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 17, 2004, 02:50 PM   #7
Mannlicher

I have never used a .41 Mag, handgun or carbine. I have always felt that with no extra expense, or effort, I could have a 44.

In my 1894S in .44, I have had very good results with a Speer Gold Dot 270 grain SP. I don't think this is available in .41 mag, but if it were, its a good compromise between expansion and penetration.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan