The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 18, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
dlseeber

New York?

Are SMG's legal to posess in New York state? I used to live in Maryland where it was legal to own and posess SMG's. I moved to Upstate New York and was told by someone in law enforcement that ownership of SMG's in NY is illegal.

Was he pulling my chain? Or are they indeed illegal to own and posess in NY.

I had to transfer all my handguns to a dealer and apply for a pistol permit in order to keep my handguns at home. I Love my new home in NY but am chagrined to know that my rights are being whittled away by dim witted lawmakers here in this fine state.

Hell, the Gov'ner couldn't keep his dongle out of his prostitutes and he can tell me that I can't keep guns in my house without his approval. What a hypocrite!
Old May 18, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Wildalaska

FA has been verboten in NY for a long as I can remember

WildandmaybelongerAlaska TM
Old May 18, 2008, 05:57 PM   #3
dlseeber

Do you mind if I use your last statememt about closed minds? I think tha is a very appropriate statement and would like to qoute it on occasion.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Musketeer

Welcome to NY.

I am not certain if Full Auto is allowed at all in NY but I can tell you this... With a ban on mags of more than 10 rounds it would be a real short time spent shooting those FA arms.

Do any of those guns you shipped to a dealer have a hi cap mag? You may have a problem. In addition the ban is more than just mags, there is a whole list assosciated with our assault weapons ban.

Why would any gun owner actually move here... I look forward to the day I leave!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old May 18, 2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Quote:
Do you mind if I use your last statememt about closed minds? I think tha is a very appropriate statement and would like to qoute it on occasion.

Thanks
Feel free, I borrowed it from someone else

WildwithpermissionAlaska TM
Old May 19, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
hknut

I use to live in a very bad part of Mass, where guns were frowned apond. The greatest thing about all the states that don't want you to own/carry a gun, is they ALL rent moving trucks!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old May 19, 2008, 10:04 AM   #7
rkba_net

Only AOW's and large-bore (ie non-exploding) DD's are allowed in NY.
Old May 23, 2008, 05:10 PM   #8
dlseeber

I had to move here, it was the only place where I could find a house that I could afford!http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...milies/mad.gif

None of my handguns have large cap(over 10 rnds) mags.

I am never moving again as long as I live (which won't be long, I have terminal liver disease (a day at a time)). I told my wife she can bury me in the back yard on top of my other guns! http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ilies/wink.gif

BTW... what are AOW's and DD's?http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...s/confused.gif
Old May 23, 2008, 09:38 PM   #9
rkba_net

AOW... Any Other Weapon... a firearm that is concealable but NOT a handgun... such as a ...

smooth-bore handgun
pen gun
cane gun
belt buckle gun
etc

DD is a Destructive Device... a firearm with a bore > 0.5" such as a 20mm Lahti L-39...

See...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39