Old May 26, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Ricklin

Dread weapon system

Amazing weapon
http://www.defensereview.com/modules...rticle&sid=526
What does everybody else think?
Old May 26, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Great weapon, but not technically a 'firearm'. That means we can all own one!!!!!!
One problem I can see is accuracy. Didn't we evolve into conical shaped ammunition because spheres are inherently inaccurate at distance? Still, I would like to see that thing up close and personal.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:54 PM   #3
B. Lahey

Here's a extra-cheesy promotional video, but I couldn't find any footage of this thing operating.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-teEbB9vlEU

I don't know what to think of this deal. It seems like they would be putting out impressive video if it worked worth a damn.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Ricklin

The link I provided does show a very short prototype demo firing. Download the cheesy promo video that is in the link., the demo firing is near the end. My question is how they get all this performance from 24 Volts at 150 watts?
Hmmm........
Old May 27, 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Actually, I think progressing in firearms to make them more "user friendly" or "smart weapons and gear" or what have you...

I think it's all stupid, idiotic, retarded... you get the picture. Why is it so hard to stay with already proven technology. it's stupid.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Ruthless4christ

they might have said it was stupid when people wanted to upgrade from the bow and arrow to the matchlock, but...
Old May 27, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7
davlandrum

Quote:
I think it's all stupid, idiotic, retarded... you get the picture. Why is it so hard to stay with already proven technology. it's stupid.
That was what I told them when they wanted me to put some stupid stone point on my perfectly good spear...

VUPDBlue - with that rate of fire, I don't think they are very worried about accuracy...

Didn't Mythbusters build a civil war version of a centrifical (I know that is not spelled correctly) fire "machine gun"? Hardest thing was getting the timing to throw the projectile in the right direction..Probably not hard at all using modern technology.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 27, 2008, 10:07 PM   #8
DBotkin

Quote:
The link I provided does show a very short prototype demo firing.
I don't know about that. It shows a very close-cropped image of some completely anonymous piece of equipment with no visual context as far as scale, shape or anything else. Nothing indicating what it might be, other than whatever conclusions you might draw from the preceding animations. Then it shows three more or less random clusters of holes in what appears to be paper... I've seen similar results from a handful of gravel thrown from a few feet away, or an air-powered BB machinegun at a carnival arcade.

Nothing resembling an actual demonstration. I'd call it a simulated demonstration, and a none too convincing one. Like the rest of the video -- simulation, animation, and none of it very convincing.

Just my own humble opinion.