The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 9, 2004, 12:50 AM   #1
Boats

On a suppressor what is "first round pop?"

I have read that some systems suffer from this undesireable trait. What is it? How do "wipes" help prevent it? Why are some suppressors mil/gov only? I thought they were all NFA so who cares?

My thought is to get a CZ-85, a longer Bar-Sto barrel modded for a can and go get my tax stamp, so I am learning about the only NFA item that interests me since I got rid of the full auto bug in the military.
Old June 9, 2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. On occassion and with some suppressors, the first round is a bit louder than subsequent ones. There's still oxygen in the suppressor which contributes to burning. After the first shot, it's full of smoke. Less oxygen.

Best.
Old June 9, 2004, 02:48 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hummmm - - -

Wonder if anyone's experimented with measures to eliminate that effect?
I'm thinking - - install a foam or latex cover in the threads just ahead of the gun muzzle, point it upward, evacuate the can using some inert, heavy, gas, such as nitrogen, and then sealing the front end with something like a small rubber balloon.

I understand one would need to take care that the foam plug or latex cover not create a barrel obstruction. Also, there might well be safety issues, but these alwys exist when mounting anything on the front end of a firearm.

Is the "first round pop" serious enough to warrant this complication, even in a military sentry removal scenario? I can't picture it being a factor in varmint hunting, even with with the spookiest coyotes. If the others run off, there's always another night . . . .

Best,
Johnny
Old June 9, 2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Chipperman

If you use a "wet" can, the problem is decreased. The can is filled with either water or grease.
Old June 9, 2004, 06:44 PM   #5
CleverNickname

Some suppressors are Military/LEO only because they're imported. The '68 GCA banned non mil/LEO ownership of foreign-made title II weapons. Also, California state law bans Class 2 manufacturers from selling suppressors to anyone but mil/LEO (including other SOTs). Theoretically it would be possible for a Cali Class 2 manufacturer to make a suppressor, sell it to a police department out of state, and then that police department could sell it to a private citizen. However, that's not very likely.
Old June 17, 2004, 04:13 PM   #6
Sleuth

Simple way to reduce 1st round pop - exhale into the can just before firing. It reduces the amount of O2 in the can. But there is an obvious safety risk!!!!!
I have been present at several ND's in offices (none of them mine). None of them sounded like a gunshot, even a 110g .357mag round from a 21/2" barrel. Usual reaction: "What was that?"
The smell of burned powder was more noticable than the sound of the shot.