The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 12, 2013, 04:05 PM   #326
maestro pistolero

A quick verdict seems unlikely now. . . the jury requested an inventory list of the evidence.
Old July 12, 2013, 04:21 PM   #327
csmsss

Quote:
A quick verdict seems unlikely now. . . the jury requested an inventory list of the evidence.
That's curious, because in the jury instructions it is written:

Quote:
During the trial, items were received into evidence as exhibits. You may examinewhatever exhibits you think will help you in your deliberations. These exhibits will be sent intothe jury room with you when you begin to deliberate.
which, to me, indicates that all of the exhibits are supposed to be given to the jurors? Am I misreading this instruction?
Old July 12, 2013, 04:28 PM   #328
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If I were on that jury and we took the first vote and it was unanimously "Not Guilty", my next thought would be to keep us in there for a few hours, at least. I can only imagine the chaos of a 20 minute deliberation followed by "Not Guilty". Even if every one of us was 100% convinced of not guilty, I'd want to sit there for awhile.
Old July 12, 2013, 04:35 PM   #329
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm with Brian on that one. Were I on the jury, I wouldn't want to emerge after just a few minutes with a NG verdict. Chaos would ensue.
Old July 12, 2013, 04:42 PM   #330
ClydeFrog

Trial jury plans, case material....

Id agree that the 6 women(the alternates were released by Judge Nelson), may decide on a "not guilty" already but will give it 5/6 hours to give the impression they weighed every piece & reviewed every remark.
Alex Ferrar(Judge Alex) told the Orlando area media in 2011 of how, when he was on the bench in south Florida, a jury rendered a verdict in 10min!
He said how he was in the restroom & went right back into the courtroom.

Due to the civil rights issues & media, Im sure the jury wants to let the verdict & legal process to be as smooth as they can.
Old July 12, 2013, 05:07 PM   #331
Closing The Gap

The jury has recessed for the evening.
Old July 12, 2013, 05:11 PM   #332
csmsss

I'm shocked the jurors were not sequestered. Does anyone REALLY believe they're going to be steadfastly ignoring the vast media coverage of this case?
Old July 12, 2013, 05:19 PM   #333
Closing The Gap

When the defense attorney made the comment about driving to the court house and said "well you didn't drive here today" referring to the jurors. I assumed they were sequestered at a hotel or something. They're not?
Old July 12, 2013, 05:24 PM   #334
Technosavant

They were indeed sequestered.

Quote:
Jurors in the George Zimmerman trial are expected to begin their sequestration at an undisclosed location on Sunday, less than 24 hours before the start of opening statements.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...opening/nYRnj/

The location has not been disclosed.
Old July 12, 2013, 05:25 PM   #335
csmsss

Quote:
When the defense attorney made the comment about driving to the court house and said "well you didn't drive here today" referring to the jurors. I assumed they were sequestered at a hotel or something. They're not?
I think I got snookered by a bad news source. I checked again and they are, indeed, sequestered. The source I had previously read indicated that they had been "sent home for the weekend."

Here 'tis:

Old July 12, 2013, 05:55 PM   #336
csmsss

Sheesh. CBS doubled down on its mistake on their front page:

Last edited by csmsss; July 12, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old July 12, 2013, 06:53 PM   #337
JimPage

I am not a lawyer. That said, I am a reasonable man. Neither am I completely cognizant of all the evidence.

From the evidence and testimonhy I am aware of I must say that I see more than a reasonable doubt about his guilt (GZ's ). I don't think the prosecution made a reasonable or effective case. In fact I think it was full of holes.

But I do have a queasy feeling that the jury might confict GZ of manslaughter because they feel overwhelming pressure to convict of something because "this never should have happened." If that happens, it is even more egregious because the effect on GZ will be nearly the same.

From my limited knowledge, I think GZ is not guilty of all charges.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old July 12, 2013, 07:27 PM   #338
horselips

As the Jury's deliberations proceed, I wonder if heightened tensions, and anticipation of disorders, will result in another big spike in gun sales - especially in Florida?
Old July 12, 2013, 08:26 PM   #339
LewSchiller

Quote:
As the Jury's deliberations proceed, I wonder if heightened tensions, and anticipation of disorders, will result in another big spike in gun sales - especially in Florida?
4 Gun shows this weekend in Florida
Jul 13-14 Inverness Gun Show
Jul 13-14 Naples Gun Show
Jul 13-14 Tallahassee Florida Gun Show
Jul 14 Oakland Park Gun and Knife Show

It'd be interesting to attend one.
Old July 12, 2013, 08:34 PM   #340
ClydeFrog

Camp Casey; media hype....

Like the "Camp Casey" events in Orlando Florida of 2011, for the Casey Anthony trial, a few protestors & groups are in front of the Seminole County FL building.
They just want to hoot & wave signs for the large media coverage.
Sheriff Don Eisigner & Chief Smith of Sanford have put many plans in place, some visible & some covert.

I highly doubt any civil disorders or major events will occur.
People don't want to make a bad situation worse but I agree that these female jurors may feel the need to "punish" bad little Georgie because he started the incident by "playing cop"
I can honestly tell you both working as a MP & a licensed security officer many people in the general public feel they "know it all" and by watching Law and Order or CSI Miami or Dexter, they know security, LE, crime scene investigations, field interviews, SWAT tactics, etc.
Training, fees, re-quals, degrees, LE academies, awards/certifications, etc mean nothing.

CF
Old July 12, 2013, 09:17 PM   #341
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

At this point in time, no one here is arguing any of the evidence. The Jury has been given the case and all we can do is wait for a decision.

Further speculation (otherwise known as mental masturbation) is pointless.

ETA: I do want to thank everyone for a well behaved and well mannered discussion.

Closed for the duration.
Closed Thread