The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2018, 07:21 AM   #1
kingofcoins

WTT neck sizing bushings I need a 0.228

Want to trade neck sizing bushings... I need a 0.228" redding wilson or rcbs
I have several others sizes ..can you help ?
Old August 12, 2018, 12:43 PM   #2
std7mag

Sorry, i don't get the whole "bushing" thing.
You get a certain size bushing for the outside of the neck, yet when you lower the ram the expander button still goes through the neck, so what's the point?
Sure you could polish( aka sand/file/grind) the expander down. But whose to say it's concentric anymore?

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 12, 2018, 03:44 PM   #3
fourbore

Read this:

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/di...-grade-dies#!/
Old August 12, 2018, 05:11 PM   #4
hounddawg

In regards to OP

For that size might have better luck on some varmint hunting forums. 20 cal ?

Quote:
Sorry, i don't get the whole "bushing" thing.
You get a certain size bushing for the outside of the neck, yet when you lower the ram the expander button still goes through the neck, so what's the point?
Sure you could polish( aka sand/file/grind) the expander down. But whose to say it's concentric anymore?
I am using Redding S FL dies for .223 and .260 and at the moment I lean toward sizing necks a bit smaller than most do. I like .003 to .004 below bullet diameter.

Most use .001 under and lots of people polish the expander buttons and leave them in. I do not use a expander and I depin in a separate step.

I am thing about switching back to FL body sizing followed by the Lee Collet on my .260 and see if I can get the runout down on some of my cases. I did a small test of 15 cases done each way awhile back and checked runout, both methods worked well

Bottom line is there are a lot of ways to do things and it is kind of a whatever works

Last edited by hounddawg; August 12, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old August 12, 2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

std7mag,

There are two advantageous scenarios. One, you don't use the expander. The Redding bushing dies come with both an expander a decapping pin retainer so you don't need to keep the expander on the decapping stem at all. Just swap it out.

The other is just to stop over-resizing. As is explained by Redding on this page, a standard resizing die is made to adequately size the thinnest neck brass the SAAMI standard allows for. Almost nobody actually makes their brass that thin, but they have to be able to handle it because you never know when someone will decide to save a little money on brass. This means, assuming 0.002" of interference fit between the brass and bullet, the standard sizing narrows average necks about -0.004" more than it requires to hang onto a bullet, and the expander has to widen it back out 0.005" so that it springs back down to give the 0.002" interference fit on an average case. If you use the correct size bushing, the expander will still expand it by 0.001", but that drags on it much less than expanding it 0.005" does and a total of 0.008" of overworking is avoided and the lighter pull makes it much less likely the expander will pull the neck off-axis. It saves case lives and yields straighter brass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle