The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2018, 10:55 AM   #51
Reloadron

In the world of guns in general the Model 1911 is a gun similar to the M1 Garand and several other guns. Now how I even begin to compare a Model 1911 pistol to an M1 Garand rifle? I say this because it just seems to be, like the M1 Garand one of those love it or hate it guns with a very narrow line between the two.

I happen to like the Model 1911 guns with a very strong attraction to the Colt Series 70 guns, matter of fact I have about a dozen of them ranging from Gold Cup NM to the standard flavors.

In my own experience with the Model 1911 in general is that the described stoppage of the gun failing to go fully into battery can have any number of causes, you have a known symptom with an unknown cause. Could be the recoil spring as opposed to the loads, could be the ammunition, could be the magazine fit, could be the angle a rounds comes up at as it is chambered. Could be dirt or crud buildup in the chamber and the list goes on. A simple Google of "1911 fails to go into battery" will bring up the same symptom described with a dozen causes.

When the NORINCO 1911 guns began to pour into the US during the early 90s many said they were lousy guns and cheap Chinese junk. While some of the machining was a little rough with some polishing and good parts fitting, a little filing they were really good guns for the buck. Any manufacturer is capable of having a bad gun come off their line but to simply state all guns made by that manufacturer are junk reflects a poor working knowledge of guns and too much Internet hearsay.

For those who dislike the Model 1911 have at it. Gee ain't America a great place? For those like myself who enjoy the Model 1911, enjoy every round.

Ron
Old August 2, 2018, 12:09 PM   #52
RickB

Quote:
Could be the recoil spring as opposed to the loads, could be the ammunition, could be the magazine fit, could be the angle a rounds comes up at as it is chambered. Could be dirt or crud buildup in the chamber and the list goes on.
Any of those could adversely affect the function of literally any and every gun.
Old August 2, 2018, 02:27 PM   #53
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingNowHaHa View Post
It failed to go into battery repeatedly because the SA Milspec is garbage, could've been clean as a whistle would've done the same thing.
So, how many Springfields do you own? How many have you fired? How many have you even held? I'll bet the honest answer to all three questions is Zero. How do I know? Well, lets see, the Springfield 1911s are renowned for their reliability and accuracy unlike a number of higher priced 1911, they feed most anything.

How do I know? I bought a Mil-Spec NIB in in March 2011 in honor of the 100th birthday of Mr. Browning's magnificent creation and it has been reliable with everything I've run through it. So much so that I got myself a Range Officer in the fall of 2012 too. Both have been 100% reliable and a joy to shoot.

Yes, I keep them clean and lubricated and I know their strengths and weaknesses. They don't like being dirty. None do well when they are dirty as it's a function of their design that they fit tight together. Oh, BTW, I'm a US Army trained Armorer and had in my arms room no less that 350 1911s to go along with my M14s as well as M60s, M73s, and M2 MGs.

I had to keep them running when they would fail so I know a bit about the breed. Obviously, far more than our new member, LaughingNowHaHa, who's post indicates that he's prone to run his mouth without his brain attached.
Old August 2, 2018, 03:59 PM   #54
223 shooter

Quote:
I bought a Mil-Spec NIB in in March 2011 in honor of the 100th birthday of Mr. Browning's magnificent creation and it has been reliable with everything I've run through it. So much so that I got myself a Range Officer in the fall of 2012 too. Both have been 100% reliable and a joy to shoot.
I also bought a Range Officer in 2012 and it is quite an amazing shooter for a very reasonable price. It is the only semi-auto centerfire pistol that I currently own that I routinely fire at 50 yard targets.
Old August 2, 2018, 04:00 PM   #55
HGD

Best bang for you buck... Rock Island, perfect no, but unless your a snob... They work just fine, and are a great first, or if you choose, or can't spend a ton.
I was browsing the local shops, and just couldn't pass this up.

Old August 2, 2018, 04:36 PM   #56
Reloadron

RickB:
Quote:
Any of those could adversely affect the function of literally any and every gun.
Yep, absolutely.

Ron
Old August 3, 2018, 06:37 AM   #57
Road_Clam

The 1911's like a M1 Garand or an M1a just simple feel so historically nostalgic. I have a SA Range Officer in chambered in 9mm . Absolute pleasure to shoot for me, my wife and daughter. Can't beat the $750ish price point of the Range Officers, match stainless barrel, adjustable sights, very nice target trigger, and I have the added value of shooting 9mm.

Tags
1911 , sig