The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 1998, 06:00 PM   #1
motorep

I've got a Benelli M1 that I use for 3gun matches. I've put about 5-600 rounds through it.At random, inopportune times (only during a match) it decides to not pick up a round from the magazine and chamber it. I'm not shooting wimp loads. Ideas?
Old November 30, 1998, 11:31 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Are you sure you have a good firm grip when firing? Due to it having an inertia recoil operating system perhaps you are holding the weapon too loosely at times (such as under the stress during a match).
Old November 30, 1998, 05:34 PM   #3
motorep

Nope,that's not it, I'm aware of that potential problem. I can't even duplicate the malfunction, it's like the gun senses that it's a match, not practice, and that I'm doing pretty well so far...
Old December 1, 1998, 10:36 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Are you using the same loads all the time?

Or maybe your Benelli is haunted
Old December 3, 1998, 05:20 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

Along the way during my love affair with my M1 I have had similar problems. In almost all cases the problem has happened with light loads (when shooting clays) and has been solved by a tap on the bolt handle with the off hand to get the bolt moving forward.
Sqirting a little oil onthe relevant moving parts always seems to improve the situation.

I have figured that it is a combination of light loads and lack of cleaning. I can only remember one similar malfunction with heavy upland game #6s and even those don't generate the recoil of a decent tactical load. That was while hunting in a very dusty area near the end of the day, the gun was pretty filthy.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 3, 1998, 08:01 PM   #6
motorep

The gun was clean for the beginning of the match, shot the prior stage, only 8 shotgun rounds, this stage was 4 slug shots then 12 shot loads at plates and poppers. The four slug shots and the next shotshell ran fine, the 6th shot cycled the gun fully but didn't pick up the next shell. These are full power field loads, as I said they always run in practice. I try to make it malf, it'll run even if I shoot it one handed. I guess it's going to be added to the list of life's imponderables.
Old December 4, 1998, 01:55 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

Are you saying that the bolt closed but there was no round chambered?? If so, then you need to go to a gunsmith, pronto.

------------------
-Essayons