The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2018, 02:37 PM   #1
cdoc42

LC Smith value

I have a field grade LC Smith Dbl BBL s/s in 16Ga and I'm trying to get some idea of its value. The serial number starts with FWS and I've discovered that means it was manufactured between 1946-1950.

The Blue Book 37th edition does not list anything with FWS nor those dates. The only area that's close is LC Smith manufactured between 1912-1950 with "fluid steel barrels." How can you tell if the barrels are "fluid steel?"
Old January 18, 2018, 03:21 PM   #2
ligonierbill

The FWS signifies a gun made by the L. C. Smith Gun Company, the name given Hunter Arms after its acquisition by Marlin in 1945. That may be why you are not seeing the serial number listed where you expect it. Value, of course, depends greatly on condition. Go to Gunbroker, Advanced Search, and hit the tab for completed auctions. If they have some Elsies, and I'm sure they do, you can see what they actually sold for.
Old January 18, 2018, 05:06 PM   #3
FITASC

Not trying to take anything away from the folks here, but there is a LC Smith forum where you might get some of your questions answered in great detail.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 19, 2018, 01:07 AM   #4
cdoc42

Thanks, ligonierbill; I found a bunch of them but no details to establish if any of them have SN starting with FWS, and bids go from $100 to well over $20k. One, in particular, starts at 0.01 cents. It's hard to determine where mine might fit in.

Fitasc, I checked that sight but all I see is a list of international competitions, How does one enter the LC Smith forum?
Old January 19, 2018, 08:20 AM   #5
stuckinthe60s

try...

www.doublegunshop.com
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner