The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 1999, 09:16 AM   #1
shane

I've shot most of the exotic semi-auto now banned shotguns.
I'm in the market again, but would like a budget priced semi-auto. I posted before and was told about Beretta $450, other expensive neat shotguns. Is $450 the base line for semi-auto, that not crap?

------------------
If we are what we eat, then I'm FAST, CHEAP, & EASY!

Old January 20, 1999, 10:20 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I'd sy that's about right for new though have you considered buying a used semi and having it "tactically enhanced"?
Old January 20, 1999, 06:18 PM   #3
shane

FAL,

How much would that run? Used is always ok with me, hell everything i buy is military or close, so used really doesn't matter.

------------------
If we are what we eat, then I'm FAST, CHEAP, & EASY!

Old January 21, 1999, 11:49 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I'm like you, most of what I've bought is used. You could pick up a cosmetically beat up Rem 1100 or 11-87 and refinish the wood or put synthetics on it. The Remington is about the only low dollar semi-auto shotgun that has many aftermarket parts for it that aren't custom built (read expensive). Put in extended mag tube and spring, high-vis follower, Side Saddle, smooth out the trigger, etc. Don't forget extra O-rings. Look through the Brownells book for all the parts you may possibly need or want on it. You'll probably end up spending about the same when all is said and done but it'll be what you want not what someone else thinks you want. I've done this with several Mossberg 500 (pumps) series and clones. I've picked up the shotguns for as low as $100 and put less than $80 more into some of them, not including my time and labor. Let me know how it works out.
Old February 5, 1999, 01:34 PM   #5
rooster

Three words " Winchester Super X" . One of the best s.a.. in the field. If you can find one they start around 450.00 go with
the mod. one. by the way this shotgun was made from 74 to 81 , its a great gun to build up.

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 02-05-99).]

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 02-05-99).]