The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 2, 2010, 11:02 PM   #26
dogrunner

I gotta echo Crimson Dave's post............I have personally seen more malfunctions with the Remington autos than any other type.........failures that ranged from broken extractors (a .280 and .270) to random issues such as failing to feed or cycle.

I am aware of one .30/06 that has been to the factory twice that both times came home and repeated the cycling failure............That owner bought a new BAR and solved his problem........finally!

That .280 I mentioned was purchased by a buddy who had it crap out on it's very first outing..........and missed a really nice buck in the process. The .270 got one round into a buck that would've escaped had we not had a really good dog on him!

Really a damned shame as the guns are sweet handling and good looking....just like that pretty blond you'd marry only to find out she burns toast!!

Oh, yeah...if you do own one of those guns and send it back to the factory for repair make darn sure you specify IN HOUSE REPAIR. Otherwise they WILL farm it out to a local gunshop they have under contract.......least that's what happened to my friend with the '06.

Me, I'll stick with my Brownings. I KNOW that the Remington jamamatic comments are NOT internet hype.
Old April 3, 2010, 11:13 AM   #27
crimsondave

Let me add, if you search my posts, you will see I am a believer in the Remington 700. This has nothing to do with brand bias. Remington autos are just not that good and the 742 is about the worst I've dealt with.
Old April 3, 2010, 12:08 PM   #28
Abel

I am a HUGE fan of the Remington 760. I just don't understand how they could get it so right with the 760 and so wrong with the 742.

Tags
.308 , remington 742