The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 17, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
ENC

Price check Pinned and Recessed?

My buddy has a S&W 19-4 that is either chromed or nickel plated pinned and recessed .357mag. The pistol is in good shape and locks up tight. The smooth wood grips are worn and appear to have absorbed a fair amount of gun oil over the years. He wants to sell it but was wondering about the value.

Thanks
Evan
Old December 17, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Gun 4 Fun

Post some pictures and a serial number. It's hard to make a determination on a description.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
carguychris

If it's original, it should be nickel, not chrome.

Speaking of which, nickel plating doesn't usually stand up to wear very well, and tends to flake off. This often prompts owners to refinish these guns, which ruins the collectible value, especially if the replating job was done badly, which is unfortunately typical.

Bottom line: pictures are really, really important to judge the value of a nickel S&W.

p.s. Get shots of the back of the open cylinder and close-ups of the S&W logo and text stamped into the frame.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
ENC

I will try to get pictures, but I looked at it pretty close. It doesn't have any of the tell tale signs of being refinished such as worn or washed out stampings or engraving like where it was over polished to remove the old finish.

Am I correct to assume that all things being equal a P&R gun will bring a premium over one that isn't? I am not saying it makes it worth a mint though.

Thanks
Evan
Old December 17, 2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Gun 4 Fun

P&R guns tend to be more desirable.