The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 18, 2005, 11:57 PM   #1
impact

Falling block works!

I have a gun calling Falling block works. Made in Maybee Michigan chambered in 218 bee. The wood on the gun is beautiful!

Anyone know any thing about this gun?
Old January 21, 2005, 05:26 PM   #2
cnc stock

Hi I`m a new member Falling Block Works has been out of business for many years. I have one in 45-120 Sharpes and have found little info on it. If you want to sell or trade for it I might be interested.
Old January 21, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3
impact

I'm thinking the one I have is old. The ser# is 3xx? But it has a bull barrel with no sights?
Old January 23, 2005, 01:31 PM   #4
.45-70 Rifleman

I had a Falling Block Works rifle several years ago in .22-250. It was a beautiful gun with a heavy barrel and no sights. It had old varmint scope bases on it. I had them removed and had a 4x scope mounted on it. I found out that it was made by a man named Clark, not to be confused with Bo Clark. It had a cast receiver like Rugers and the particular metal content used gave the receiver a slight reddish tint. They were made in small numbers so all the serial numbers will be relatively small. I was told that it was patterned after the Winchester hi-wall and that lo-wall versions were also made by Clark. I was told the high-wall version was extremely strong and that it could be chambered for almost any cartridge up to and including big magnums. The extractor on my gun would occassionally slip out of the groove on the cartridge and fail to extract. Rimmed cartridges are much better suited to this type of action.

It had no safety other than half-cock and a mechanism that blocked the hammer unless the trigger was rearward. Once, I was sitting on a stump in the woods of North Carolina waiting for a deer and decided it was time to move on. I had the rifle on half-cock and while attempting to take it off from half-cock it discharged. Once you cock it, it is difficult to un-cock. You have to hold the hammer while pulling the trigger. You can then manually control the fall of the hammer so that it is gently un-cocked and then release the trigger. If the hammer slips while doing this, the gun will go off. The only other option is to open the action, unload the firearm, close the action, un-cock the firearm, then open the action again and reload. It was the only accidental discharge I had experienced in decades of handling guns. I considered it unsafe and sold it.

Be careful!
Old January 23, 2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Old? Made in the 1970s in several sizes.
Appearance is similar to a Winchester High Wall but it has some Stevens 44 1/2 features, too. Very strong.
Somebody in the BPCR game came up with a few last year and they sold off fast.