The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 21, 2004, 08:12 PM   #1
medic-59

ID old 12 G Shotgun

I'm trying to ID this old 12 G Shotgun. We have no idea when it was bought, but we do know it was in southern Indiana/North Kentucky. We have a picture of it circa 1920 so we know it's at least that old. It has no brand name we can find. There are several barrel proof marks and a serial number of
20516. It also has the letters BF then what appears to be an I or L and an O or C. I am working on uploading a few pics. If anyone can help My grandmother and I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Medic-59
Old December 22, 2004, 03:54 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

If you will take a #2 graphite pencil and color over the markings on the gun, this will enhance them and you may be able to read them better. This will help us.

HJN
Old December 26, 2004, 10:30 PM   #3
medic-59

I got it cleaned up a bit better and the letters actually spell belguim. It has a proofmark of ELG with a crown. I have come to understand this means it was proofed for black power after 1893. I think it may have come from H. & D. Folsom Arms Company but cannot confirm that. There is a V with a star above it as well as 18.2 stamped on both barrels (i think that is the gauge of the steel, CMIIR). If anyone has any additional info I'd still appreciate it.
Old January 7, 2005, 10:30 PM   #4
HunterTRW

You are probably on the right track in believing that the gun may have come from H&D Folsom Arms as they imported a variety of side-by-side shotguns from Belgium. Can you tell if the barrels are Damascus (twist) or fluid steel? Does the gun have outside (exposed) or internal hammers? Answers to these questions, plus detailed photographs, will help Mr. Nolden as he seeks to identify your heirloom.

Good luck!