The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2000, 10:45 PM   #1
Moe

How long will a Remington 11-87 last? Before it wears out parts? Before it wears ot parts that are not reasonably $$ replaceable? Before it wears out to a point when it is not safe to shoot (ie. Kaboom)
Perhaps older Remington models ie 11-47 could be considered for a prediction.

Thank you for your help.

Moe
Old September 24, 2000, 11:31 PM   #2
Moe

Hey guys. I'm not asking much here. Just some friendly advice on how long a shotgun will last.

Thanks.

Old September 24, 2000, 11:45 PM   #3
Rutgers

At least a case a week for the last 3 years, sometimes more. plus mud, saltwater, snow, sand, The finish is gone (unless you consider rust a finish). no signg of problems anytime soon. Never jams, eats all kinds of ammo. shoots like the day I bought it. No, I do not work for Remington!
Old September 25, 2000, 03:47 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No comparison, Moe, between the 11-87 and 48. The 48 was a recoil operated action, the 87 is gas operated. My guess, the 11-87 will last longer than we will.
Old September 25, 2000, 10:00 AM   #5
PJR

Like anything else, it will run forever if you take care of it. I shot an 11-87 Sporting Clays gun for a couple of years and only replaced the rubber o-rings. In time, the link (the v-shaped metal piece behind the bolt) will break but they are easily replaceable.

Unless the frame cracks (and I've never seen that happen and know several guys shooting 1100 and 11-87) the gun should run indefinitely and only need some replacement parts from time to time.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old September 25, 2000, 04:30 PM   #6
blooch

the odds of someone wearing out a 1187 are slim in my opinion. i have friends that have shot 1100's for years, one is a 3 digit serial number that shot over 350,000 skeet loads in a 12 year period, the 1187 is basically they same gun. i do know of one 1187 that has been used for duck and goose hunting since they came out plus 3 flyer shoots a year, this gun has had a steady diet of 3 3/4 or better dram loads with no breakage. the 1187 mentioned above is used in texas, arkansas, kansas, nebraska, north dakota, minnesota, wisconsin, mississippi, louisana and georgia......he has the time and money to hunt all these every year, if that gun gave trouble, he could buy any gun he wants, he's still shooting it. all of these have had the o-rings replaced except the old three digit gun, it's owner is trying to see how long it will last, he takes it out and rolls it between his fingers before shooting sessions. i guess they will out last most normal shooting situations.
Old September 25, 2000, 11:08 PM   #7
Moe

Wow! Thanks guys. Thats great info. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that it will last so long. That made my day.

Any more tidbits are wellcome.

Moe
Old September 26, 2000, 09:49 AM   #8
Cat

I've been shooting 1100's for over 30 years. I have never had an O ring break and have only replaced one in all of thse years. I replaced it because it was on an old model that I bought cheap and was having the barrel cut down and the the whole firearm refinished. I figured it was time for a fresh start and spent the extra $5.
I've owned three 1100's and one 11-87. I sold the 11-87 only because I made a lot of bucks on the deal. The 11-87 is a slightly beefed up 1100, with an improved gas system to handle a broader range of ammunition.
I would not hesitate to use an 1100 or 11-87 for anything.
Neil Casper