The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 14, 2017, 09:39 AM   #26
rodwhaincamo

I no longer recall but the groove diameter of the Pietta Pocket was just a bit over .32" and the chambers something like .315" or something. It's waaaaay undersized. And chamfering the mouth won't fix that.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:41 AM   #27
rodwhaincamo

Taylors sells a 3.5" barrel for the Uberti Pocket Police.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:58 AM   #28
rodwhaincamo

Here's a link with dimensions:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=7153.0
Old August 15, 2017, 03:55 AM   #29
swathdiver

Right, the ASM and Palmetto variations, out of production, are more accurate once worked over.

One can still have fun plinking with those .326 groove diameters and indeed use it just fine for defense.
Old August 15, 2017, 06:29 PM   #30
TruthTellers

Honestly, the OP would probably be better off getting one of these:

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/f...el-cap-ball-2/

That's the 4 inch cap and ball North American Arms revolver. It shoots proprietary .22 bullets, but NAA sells them cheap, but most probably not as cheap as bulk 0 Buck.

However, the gun shoots real bullets, not balls. The bullets weight 30 grains, .31 balls are typically 50 grains... point is the .22 bullets will likely penetrate way deeper and straighter than the round balls.

What is absolute is the NAA will be more accurate because it's better made and the bullets are meant to be shot in the gun.

Other note is that NAA sells spare cylinder for a super low price of $40, when I was looking for spare cylinders for the Pietta '63, I couldn't find a price lower than $90. It's totally safe to shoot 4F powder and with 4F in that 4 inch barrel, I don't see how you couldn't get over 1000 fps from it, where the .31 will be anemic and likely under 750 fps.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the OP already bought a '63, I thought he was considering getting one.
Old August 15, 2017, 07:23 PM   #31
Ricklin

Send it back?

I bought a Pietta 1858 NMA about ten years ago. Traditions was the distributor, maybe still is?
I think mine had 6 different sized holes in the cylinder. Maybe not 6 but maybe two of them were actually correct. The others were variably oversize.
I got Mr. Surly on the line at Traditions. They would only agree to "look" at the issue. Mind you I was telling him I know how to use calipers and was giving him the varying dimensions on the phone down to .001
Of course it was also on my nickle to send it in.

They did send me a new one which was fine and I still have it, the original they sent was pretty bad, even dangerous for a newbie. This was their target model in stainless, was not cheap.

All companies make mistakes. It's how they handle them that is the measure of the company.

Last edited by Ricklin; August 15, 2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old August 15, 2017, 10:55 PM   #32
rodwhaincamo

Surprised a target model was so off.
Old August 16, 2017, 09:22 AM   #33
Ricklin

Yup

I was both surprised and disappointed.

First I really wanted stainless, I like shiny guns, what can I say?

The target model is pricey, I recall real close to 500 for it.

The replacement they sent was good. I thought they would just replace the cylinder, but they sent a new gun.
The replacement is accurate and reliable. I just don't shoot it enough.
Old August 16, 2017, 11:23 PM   #34
Model12Win

Pietta probably thinks most people will buy one of the pocket Remington and pop it off a couple times at a tin can then forget about it. Accuracy and tolerances probably aren't super high on their priorities when it comes to this model.
Old August 19, 2017, 09:35 AM   #35
Ricklin

I agree!

I agree Model12win, when I bought my NMA supposedly Pietta had improved greatly, and was running neck and neck with Uberti with regard to overall quality.
The first NMA I received was dangerous. Not a good thing for the ball to come off the charge during recoil.
Yes, I was using the correct balls, only two of the cylinders would shave a ring of lead, the rest were variably oversize.

Had Traditions been friendly and helpful I would feel differently about their company. The man on the phone, not the gentleman on the phone was downright surly. I had little hope of a fair resolution to the issues after speaking with him. They refused to pay the freight going in, I do not recall who paid the freight back to me. I think I paid freight both ways.

I was pleased that they sent a new NMA, and it's a fine one. We don't forget when companies do the wrong thing.
Old August 20, 2017, 06:25 AM   #36
4V50 Gary
Staff

Makes it sound like the Target model uses the same machinery but has a few extras thrown in (adjustable sights and better front sight).
Old August 24, 2017, 07:59 PM   #37
rodwhaincamo

Have you done anything with your pistol?

I've been drawn to this gun for quite some time. It's rather low on my needs though. If/when I do get one I'll likely buy Swiss 4F and have Accurate Molds create me a bullet mold. But I'd also have to open those chambers up.