The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2000, 07:12 PM   #1
Condition One

Need a little help here guys. I've got this pound of Accurate No. 5 and a box of 125 gr. round nose lead 9mm. My midway load map shows anywhere form 4.5 to 6.0 grs. of No.5 for a 125 gr. lead round nose. There is a lot of room to work here. All I am looking for is enough powder to stabilize the bullet and work the action. I will worry about small groups as I go along. Any and all help appreciated. Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
Never saw a gun I didn't
like.
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old June 5, 2000, 07:40 PM   #2
Fred

I personally would begin with the start load as listed (4.5) for at least two reasons.

You mentioned they are lead bullets, so you don't want too much velocity to cause severe leading. You also noted that you initially just want the action to cycle. The start load should be able to do this, will minimize leading, and wear and tear on your pistol. You can then work up in .3 increments if need be.

------------------
Regards - AZFred