The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 3, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1
oale3260

Springfield M-1 Garand

I have a M-1 that I am seriously considering selling or trading but do not have any idea as to what it may be worth. The serial number is 7007258. There are no nicks on any of the wood stock and the rifle is in great condition. Is there any other information that you may need in order to give me a window of its worth? Thanks...
Old December 17, 2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Chet

Idont know what a used one is worth for sure but a new one I believe is $14 or $1500. something else to find out is if it is government issue or not oops
Old January 19, 2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Joe W

M1 Garand

Serial numbers in the 7000000 range are not Govt. manufacture. A private Company bought the rights to use the name "Springfield Armory" and have been making various guns, including the M1 Garand, for a number of years.
You can check out there web site at www.springfield-armory.com
Currently a new M1 from them sells for about $ 1300.00.
As far as what it is worth, that's hard to say. A good used original M1 can be bought from the Govt. (CMP) for $ 500.00. At gun shows dealers would be asking $ 700. and up for these. The market for your rifle would be limited to shooters as collectors would have no real interest.
When Springfield Armory INC. first started to make Garands they manufactured only the receiver and used Govt. surplus parts as there were plenty available at that time. I understand that they now manufacture all the parts. As your Serial # is quite low I would suspect you will find original USGI parts in your rifle.
Don't get me wrong, it is a quality built rifle and target shooters would be well pleased with it. I would bet it is built as good or better than the original.
Old January 19, 2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Joe W has it very right

A lot depends on the barrel and the action and how tight it is. The head spacing and over all condition. But for a used he's right on the money.
700 tops, norm above 500
Old January 21, 2005, 01:31 PM   #5
JNewell

Interesting, I once owned 7007251. As someone mentioned, the parts were all genuine USGI. It might be worth more as parts than as a rifle, if it hasn't been shot much...
Old January 21, 2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Dennis Rogers

Interesting....

J newell,
Man is that a one in a billon ! The fella I got it from had no infomation on the history of it,can you tell me anything about the garand when you owned it? How it shot etc. The weather here in Iowa has been so rotten I haven't even got to shoot it yet.
Old January 22, 2005, 05:24 PM   #7
JNewell

Dennis -- it shot fine, though no better than Garands that I've gotten from CMP, which is a little bit disappointing because it was essentially new when I bought it, and the CMP rifles were not. It had one other quirk that I discovered by accident. The receiver is cast, not forged, as you may know. The dimensions of the receiver differ a little from the USGI receivers in their outward size. As a result, it would not drop into wood that was inletted to USGI specs. Not a big issue, just a sight oddity.

I have kind of bad feelings about that rifle for another reason. I sold it on consignment through a dealer. It functioned perfectly, as I said. The buyer brought it back and claimed it wouldn't function at all, and the dealer had to get some parts replaced. I don't know what the buyer did. I suspect he may have either swapped some of the parts for worn out parts, or perhaps bent the op rod or something like that. Whatever, it functioned perfectly for me but led to some friction with the dealer; I did not like even the suspicion that I'd unloaded a bad rifle. Still steams me...