The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Renol

Sight changes on SW MP (full size)

I've had a Smith and Wesson M&P handgun in 40 for a number of years. I'm not a heavy shooter.

Main thing is, I despise the default sight picture in relation to on-target hold. Specifically, the sights are set up in a "cover where you want to hit with the center of your front sight dot" (Image 3) as opposed to the more traditional "point of aim point of impact" where you line up the top of the front sight with where you want to hit. (image 2). I'm assuming the stock sights are not adjustable, so new sights would be in order. How easy is it to find sights that would replicate Image 2? Am I going to have to opt for some crazy expensive adjustable sights (100s of dollars) or are there reasonable solutions?

Also, while I understand there are lines of thought about the effectiveness of #3 from what I've gathered, it's one of those things that are endlessly debated. As stated above, I don't practice anywhere near as much as I'd like, but #2 is what I learned to shoot on and is what is ingrained into muscle memory. As such, due to stubbornness and laziness on my part, practice to make new muscle memory is my last choice. That's not to say I can't put a hole in a target where I want to, it's just that the muscle memory takes active effort to override and it gets tiresome after a few magazines.

Old March 21, 2020, 06:50 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I always considered sight picture 3 to be point of aim point of impact, at least more so than picture 2. But that’s not your point. You should be able to find something that works.

You might call Dawson Precision. They’re pretty affordable and if you talk to them they should be able to suggest a solution based on their various sight heights. You could also send in just the slide if you didn’t want to do it yourself. If you do it yourself just be mindful that the firing pin block is accessed by removing the rear right. So when you do remove the rear sight make sure to not lose any of those parts by rough handling (they won’t fly off, just don’t upend the slide).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2020, 06:51 AM   #3
wild willy

LPA SPS Fully Adjustable White Dot Sight Set For S&W Military and Police M&P, I put these on my full size M&P.Mine went on with no problems I didn't change the front sight.Lots of videos on doing it.My gun shot below the sights just changing the rear sight put it right where I wanted it and I'm about in the middle for elevation adjustment.One tip don't tighten the right (from the rear) lock screw it pushes the striker block plunger down and make sure the allen wrench is in the whole way tiny screws easy to bugger.