The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2017, 07:24 PM   #1
WinnieShao

Shotgun(s) good for trapshooting beginners

Hello!

I recently got into trapshooting. I’ve been using rentals at the range I think it’s a pretty standard Beretta over/under (sorry I actually don’t know much about shotguns)...anyway, I’ve been looking into buying my own but not sure which one is good for a beginner such as myself. Something under $1000.00 would be ideal.

Issue I’m having is I’m small (5’1” & 90lbs) so while the rental works but after 25 rounds I’m done. My shoulder bruised and my arms ached. I’ve been reading up and found that 30” and up barrels are “standard” size? Is this true? The one at the range was 28” and for me that was a lot to handle. Any suggestions and recommendations would be awesome! Thanks.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Brassguy

Get a Remington 1100 semi auto.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:55 PM   #3
mete

The butt stock length is especially critical for " felt recoil " At 5'1" you need a 'youth' gun with a shorter stock .They should know that at the range.
You could use a semi-auto giving less recoil. You could also use a 20 ga. They come with a 12 ga or the lighter 20 ga. stock. You could also get a recoil reducer but some ranges don't like those as the muzzle blast goes sideways to bother other shooters. Start out with an appropriate gun and some lessons would help. The barrel length is long partly because of the past when powders were different .By the way a 24" auto has the same over all length as a 28" O/U.
I found a fun shoot is the sporting clays which was created for practice for all types of shotgun shooting. Trap is limited in that regard.
Have fun !
Old October 20, 2017, 08:57 PM   #4
WinnieShao

That’s another question I have...I used a 20 ga at the range but people tell me 12 is standard. Does it matter that much? I held a 12 ga shotgun when I was shopping around at the stores and it feels significantly heavier than the 20 but when I looked up the specs it was only a few ounces heavier. Maybe I just need to get used to it?

I have looked into youth shotguns but they seem harder to find. Perhaps I’m not looking in the right places?
Old October 20, 2017, 10:14 PM   #5
leo96150

The Beretta 391, or the newer Outlander are both very soft shooting 12 gauges. I've seen lots of ranges use these as rentals. Ask at your range or look to other ranges to try one out.
Old October 20, 2017, 10:45 PM   #6
JWT

Remington 1100 classic trap in a 12 ga. Great starting gun. New price in $1000. Range. Gun used ones below that. Gas operated with low recoil. Design been around for years. Very dependable, reliable gun. Has choke tubes.
Old October 20, 2017, 10:51 PM   #7
Blindstitch

I want to say to get a nice double and truck on but knowing your size and weight I think the solution is a grow gun. Basically a gun that is meant for youth or smalls statured people that is used to test how far you really want to go with this.

What I did for my wife is buy her a Mossberg 500 Superbantam 20 gauge and then I fooled around with adding weight to the rear. Doing this you can learn on one gun till you find what you like. She's only good for two boxes but only shoots a few times a year.

I know there's 505 youth guns but I would check them out. I bought my wifes used/near new for $200.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossb...uns/709965.uts
Old October 20, 2017, 10:57 PM   #8
Blindstitch

The main reason for a 12 gauge is larger payload over 20 gauge. Something like 20-25%.

But in reality if you took both gauges in guns of the same weight and shells of the same payload and powder they will recoil the same.
Old October 21, 2017, 08:54 PM   #9
stuckinthe60s

dont get sucked into fads. get a bbl length that isnt bbl heavy, that drags you down in front.
if youre going to be serious about trap, get a bonified trap gun...with a monte carlo stock.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old October 21, 2017, 08:59 PM   #10
JWT

I used my Remington 1100 Classic Trap for several years for trap. Worked very well, and it does have a Monte Carlo stock. I upgraded to a Browning BT99 and have kept the 1100 a a back up.
Old October 21, 2017, 09:47 PM   #11
bobn

a monte carlo stock and a trap rib is number one. I shot both a rem 1100 classic trap and a super x one Winchester this year. the winchester was definitely less recoil.
...there is no absolute answer. you need to try as many different guns as you can. bobn
Old October 22, 2017, 05:47 AM   #12
darkgael

Quote:
a monte carlo stock and a trap rib is number one.
Browning’s BT-99 is a dedicated Trap gun and a good one. Does it have a Monte Carlo stock?

For a shooter of smaller stature, look at a BT99 Micro.
Old October 22, 2017, 10:08 AM   #13
eastbank

all my clay games shotguns have adjustable combs or adjustable morgan pads on them, its easy to go from trap-skeet or sporting clays. when not using my browning BT-100 for trap, I,ll use my browning sporting clays limited edtion o/u by raising the comb to raise my poi 6-8 " for trap. if I want to use it for small game I lower the comb to make it shoot flat. eastbank.
Old October 22, 2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Ricklin

Last thing i would recommend for trap would be a 20 gauge. Trap is long barrels, it's not tradition it is what works!
Semi auto helps with recoil you will need to add a shell catcher to your gun.

A Rem. 1100 would be a great choice. Ask at your club about a stock fitter.

I can state with 100% certainty that until your gun fits you you will find shooting trap painful and frustrating.
Old October 22, 2017, 02:36 PM   #15
eastbank

I have shot 24-25,s with my browning xs 20ga with 30" barrels and 23-25,s with a 870 pump with a 28" barrel. in 20ga. 25-25,s can be done with a 20ga. I have not been able to do it yet, but I,ll keep on trying. eastbank.
Old October 22, 2017, 02:38 PM   #16
FITASC

I am going to assume by the user name that the OP is a female. IF so, there is a LOT more than LOP to consider and a proper fitting will go a long way to better scores, no bruising. Pitch and toe are two critical dimensions in this regard.

A proper-fitting 12 gauge will do the trick. Whether or not a single shot trap gun or a semi would be better, will need to be determined by the OP after trying several.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 24, 2017, 12:40 PM   #17
BigJimP

Since you are going to a gun club that rents guns...and presumably has quite a few trap shooters there...talk to some of the more serious Trap shooters there...get their suggestions, find something that fits you...

As a note -- most of the Beretta Over Unders are not great long term Trap guns ...except the DT 10 model if you can find one ....Browning Over Unders are more readily available...the BT 99 or the XT ...and 32" or 34" barrel is common on the single shot BT 99 ...on the XT over Under its common in 30" and 32".. ( My personal favorite is the XT Trap in a 32" at around 10 lbs ...and since its an O/U ...its good for Trap Singles, Doubles and Continental ...but for a "petite" shooter, it would not be your best option unless you can handle a gun that heavy / even if its balanced well as a petite shooter you are probably going to find a gun in the 8 1/2 lb range is more suited to you.

but if you're a beginner, you don't need to invest in a long term gun...just find what fits you best.

My go to load for Trap ...is 1 oz of 8's...and you can shoot that in a 12ga or a 20ga very easily.

Every serious Trap Shooter I've ever known --- has a lot of shotguns / and they will fall out of favor with a gun if they miss 2 birds out of 100...but the point is, they will all have a variety of guns they might sell, if they know you're interested.

Last edited by BigJimP; October 24, 2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old October 24, 2017, 03:48 PM   #18
Virginian

Get a Remington 1100 and have the stock shortened and fitted with a good recoil pad or get a "youth" stock. You may also want to have the barrel shortened a bit and have choke tubes installed. An 1100 is not light, but with the weight balanced between your hands it should not be bad. Nothing will recoil less. That gas action with the steel action sleeve makes it a real pussycat. If you start with a good used 1100 you should get out for under $1,000.
For those concerned about empties hitting other shooters, you can have a trap pin installed, or run it with a rubber band around the receiver.
Old October 24, 2017, 10:47 PM   #19
BigJimP

Browning makes a semi auto ...in their Silver line, in both a 12ga & 20ga...in 24" or 26" barrel ....its called a Midas Micro Silver Matte Hunter model ...designed and built for petite shooters...its a soft shooting gun...and you probably won't need to modify anything....and new they sell for right around $1,000 ....

Its lighter and probably much better option than the older Rem 1100 series that is heavier and old technology...

But unless you are just set on buying something now....you're still better off in my view ...waiting & talking to shooters at your club and picking up a used, dedicated trap gun, from someone there.
Old October 25, 2017, 07:20 AM   #20
wild cat mccane

Mossberg makes a 24" Bantam 500 in 12 gauge. I own it. It's great. Buds has it for $312 right now.

Reduced recoil loads in 12 is usually a better bet than any 20...in principle, not fact though.
Old October 25, 2017, 09:04 AM   #21
FITASC

OP wants to shoot trap; 24" really doesn't work that well compared to at least 28; longer even better.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 25, 2017, 09:37 AM   #22
dmoserwy

I agree with the BT-99. A great gun that won't break the bank.
Old October 25, 2017, 11:07 AM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
OP wants to shoot trap; 24" really doesn't work that well compared to at least 28; longer even better.
OP stated that she is new to trapshooting shooting, 5'1" tall, 90 pounds and her shoulder and arms hurt after one round of 25 .....

My thoughts? While 30"+ barrels and one oz. loads are generally accepted by most as "working better" for trap, I'm thinking that they won't work at all for the OP.

My daughter shot trap in 6th grade ..... she was shorter than 5' then ..... she used an ancient Remington Model 10 in 20 guage, with a 7/8 oz. load of 7 1/2 shot ..... she did not win any shoots, but did pretty well for a beginner, becoming a competent wingshot, and outshooting some kids her age with 1,000 dollar guns. The gun was light enough for her to handle, and more importantly, did not beat the hell out of her. I don't know how old the OP is but if she's young and going to grow any, dropping thousands of dollars on a shotgun is foolish...... better to learn the basics with a basic shotgun she can handle well.

I imagine her arms hurt due to fatigue, and her bruised shoulder was no doubt due to recoil, a problem compounded by heavy loads, poor stock fit and inexperience .....

Fatigue can be mitigated by toning the muscles- and just being a strong muscled person is not going to necessarily tone all the right muscles used in trapshooting ..... I found that out when I used to shoot with my daughter at trap practice..... I've always been a pretty good wingshot and would nail the first 10-15 clays or so, no problem ..... but then would inexplicably start missing ..... her coach said that was fatigue setting in.... unless you condition yourself to shoot 25 shot stands, it'll happen....

The recoil issue- light loads, a heavy gun. and most importantly, good technique and correct stock fit will mitigate recoil ..... but none of that matters unless the shooter can hold the gun and point it well for a full round...... an 8 1/4 pound gun that is over 4 feet long and has a length of pull such that the girl can't shoulder it properly and still reach the trigger just isn't going to work.
Old October 25, 2017, 12:21 PM   #24
FITASC

First the OP needs is a gun that fits, and that can't be done over the Internet. A 28 or 30" gun weighing 7-3/4 to 8# and shooting 7/8 to 1oz loads will work just fine. I used to shoot with old small ladies - 5' to 5'4, all about 110# and while 1 shoots a 30" 20ga for clays, the other 2 shoot 30" 8-9# Brownings and Kreighoffs. FIT comes first.
Old October 25, 2017, 12:55 PM   #25
BigJimP

I agree ... Fit comes first....and then fundamentals...

( her shoulder is hurting...so she has some flaws in the way she is mounting and probably gripping the gun and/or ..it probably doesn't Fit her ).

I understand she wants her own gun...but just buying something right now is not really her best option ...until she gets some help locally. If the club is big enough to rent guns...there has to be some experienced shooters that will gladly help her out.

A BT-99 ( or the older BT-100 ) ...are both nice guns / but they are "one trick pony's "....they are only good for shooting "singles"...and there are other Trap games where you do not shoot Single targets or you can load 2 shells ( like Continental Trap and Doubles )...so a single barrel, break open gun, may be a bad choice for her.

Tags
clay sports , sportingclay , trapshooting