The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 9, 2017, 04:43 PM   #26
Skadoosh

This video demostrates how a WML can be useful when used properly...even during daylight hours.
Old September 11, 2017, 09:57 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

Anyone reading the above will conclude that I don't think much of weapon-mounted lights. Now I am seeing what to me is even sillier, the head mounted light, like the old-time miner's lamp. This really saves the BG trouble; no guesswork - just shoot at the light and put a bullet right through the cop's forehead. (Oh, I forgot about that superlight that is 200 times brighter than the sun and renders anyone within 50 miles instantly helpless.)

Jim
Old September 11, 2017, 10:44 PM   #28
Rangerrich99

I've been reading the responses to my OP with great interest; thanks to everyone for the interesting reading.

I should say that I have no illusions about trying to clear my own home if the scenario became a reality. If I had home invaders my Plan Alpha is to hole up in my bedroom with my guest(s) if any, and point my trusty mossy at the center of the door, in the dark.

But if for some reason, if I had to move around the house with BGs in it, these posts are giving me a lot to think about.

At this point, I think a WML may end up on at least one of my HD guns, but I'm still on the fence about it, as it seems like its facility is pretty limited.
Old September 12, 2017, 08:28 AM   #29
PPGMD

Headlamps and helmet lights are never meant to be used in a combat context, they are almost exclusively utility lights. The only exception are IR lights meant to be used with NVDs.

And TBH I think everyone needs one, sure you might not need a super bright one, or even a super durable one like a Surefire, but I am sure everyone can think of a time when you need light while both hands are busy. I personally used my headlamp a lot in preparation for Hurricane Irma, and for the few hours that my lights were off.

Last edited by PPGMD; September 12, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old September 12, 2017, 08:41 AM   #30
PPGMD

Quote:
At this point, I think a WML may end up on at least one of my HD guns, but I'm still on the fence about it, as it seems like its facility is pretty limited.
Rangerrich99,

WMLs are something that someone needs to actually work with to see the utility. Try opening a door, clearing a malfunction, or even shooting with a handheld light. It is problematic at best. Sure with lanyards and light rings you can get over some of the limitations but they are still awkward.

And then there is shooting with a handheld light. All the methods that involve shooting with a handheld light, even ones purpose built for that purpose, they all suck. You will lose a good portion of your stability and recoil management. That is just with handguns, it gets even worse with long guns. There is a reason why people who actually studied combat as their jobs (people wearing special colored berets) were hose clamping lights to their guns long before weapon lights became a thing.
Old September 12, 2017, 02:00 PM   #31
Skadoosh

Quote:
There is a reason why people who actually studied combat as their jobs (people wearing special colored berets) were hose clamping lights to their guns long before weapon lights became a thing.
This. This why some responses truly stump me.
Old September 12, 2017, 03:59 PM   #32
shafter

I'm stumped as well. We have more people than ever before in military/LE who are going into harms way every day and disproving the theoretical disadvantages of WML's. People with actual real world experience downrange. Yet, the naysayers persist.
Old September 12, 2017, 09:34 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

What advantages a WML might have for special forces units, I still think that for an individual cop checking out a report of a burglary or a domestic, the idea is silly. But it is not I or others here who are promoting WML's for police use in "civilian" situations, it it the "tactical" people who see every police patrol as a battle against ISIS or some other group of heavily armed thugs, and the companies whose ads in the gunzines show heavily armed police in every conceivable situation. I have to wonder how many ordinary police actually encounter thousands of fanatical terrorists on the streets of our cities, while patrolling alone or with another officer. If that situation is as common as the WML fans would lead us to believe, every cop should have an M-16 and a dozen magazines, plus a lot more training than we now give to our "local friendly cops."

The fact is that, while some police/military units may need WMLs and other gear, the makers sell primarily to the SWAT team wannabes, teenagers who fantasize about shooting it out with ISIS and buy the black pajamas and other "tactical" gear they wear to parade around at the mall.

OK, I am unreasonable. BUT, how many of those who have responded actually belong to an official, organized, SWAT team (or equivalent) and have practiced as part of their training, the use of WMLs and other equipment?

Not what you read, what you heard, what was in some magazine. What did you do yourself or train to do as part of an official, organized unit?

Jim
Old September 12, 2017, 09:50 PM   #34
Bartholomew Roberts

You have to make entry into a darker room from a room with more ambient light. Boom! WML pays for itself*

*Assuming you got the training to go with the gear.
Old September 12, 2017, 10:03 PM   #35
PPGMD

Yes, you are being unreasonable you insist that you will only accept an opinion from someone that was in a SWAT or similar unit. Why should I accept your opinion? Do you have any training on this subject, have you ever used it in context?

I can easily answer that, no, no you don't. You didn't even know what a headlamp was used for. Here's a hint nothing to do with combat. Surefire makes them for the SAR, climbing, and other markets that need a hard use headlamp for utility works. But if you were involved in any of the communities that use weapon lights in any context in the last 10-20 years you would've known that.

So you have no idea what you are talking about and yet you are passing your opinion as gospel. A text book example of the dunning kruger effect.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:20 PM   #36
James K
Member In Memoriam

In my first post in this series, I said that my training and experience is outdated, and asked about current practice with no real answers. But I know enough to know that a lot of the "tactical" stuff in the magazines and on the web sites is plain BS. If those lights are not meant to be worn or put on weapons in combat, why do the makers' ads show them being used that way? Not by cave explorers, but by models dressed as SWAT team members.

I never saw any officer with a rig like that, but as I have said, my training is years old. But that does not mean I have never fired a gun, something I strongly suspect the mall ninjas have not done either.

I asked a simple question - what experience have the "experts" who post here actually had? PPGMD has attacked me but has not answered that question. If you are not a member of a SWAT team, if you have had no training, if you have never been a police officer, then I submit that it is you who does not know what you are talking about.

Bartholomew Roberts, OK, but if I am going from a lighter room into a dark room, I am silhouetted against the light. Even if my own light is enough to completely blind a BG in the darker room, he can still shoot when he sees my light, and I am dead. And he has the advantage, in spite of (or because of ) my light and the doorway. He knows where I am; I don't know where he is.

Jim
Old September 12, 2017, 11:45 PM   #37
PPGMD

Show me a picture of such a model? All the marketing materials I've seen of headlamps being used in a military context have shown it in a utility roles. Like a mechanic working inside a vehicle, or a medic treating a wounded person. I know for a fact that Surefire doesn't even include headlamps in their tactical catalog. The only head mounted lights are the helmet lights are that little low powered utility lights around 15 lumens IIRC.

So someone that actually has training on modern techniques, which included force on force scenarios being on the receiving end of each technique (they don't want you to take their word that the techniques work) has no clue. But a person that has no modern training, and even admits is telling the people that have training that they don't have a clue. Well then this explains why The Firing Line is basically dead.
Old September 13, 2017, 03:13 AM   #38
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
Bartholomew Roberts, OK, but if I am going from a lighter room into a dark room, I am silhouetted against the light. Even if my own light is enough to completely blind a BG in the darker room, he can still shoot when he sees my light, and I am dead. And he has the advantage, in spite of (or because of ) my light and the doorway. He knows where I am; I don't know where he is.
That's the point. Someone in the dark room already knows you are there whether you use a light or not because you are backlighted. He can see your silhouette and can probably make out a weapon if you are carrying one and he is a target-ID sensitive kind of person.

Without a light, you cannot see him or know whether that gaping dark maw in the night is empty or staring back at you. In almost any situation where you are backlit, a brief use of light lets you see - and while it may not stun someone on the receiving end senseless as in the ads, 500 lumens in a dark room will often disrupt the OODA loop of someone sitting there waiting for a backlit victim to appear in my experience.

Now, you don't have to have a WML for that; but it sure does make a difference in time on target in those scenarios.

*I have two low-light training experiences. My first was live fire on an outdoor range and while I certainly learned a lot, it wasn't until I did some force on force inside a building in low light that I really started to appreciate some of the difficulties in that scenario. And I am still very much a novice with light use.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; September 13, 2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old September 13, 2017, 05:41 AM   #39
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I never saw any officer with a rig like that, but as I have said, my training is years old. But that does not mean I have never fired a gun, something I strongly suspect the mall ninjas have not done either.

NJSP recently switched to Glock 19s with, I believe, Surefire X300s. Not an option, across the board issue weapon. That is approximately 2,500 L/E officers.

A good number of agencies are making the transition to sidearms with lights. Takes a lot to switch an agency over to anything, considering it is a government entity... asking for a good amount of money to do so. Guns, holsters, lights, ammo, training... even if they are using existing sidearms, new holsters, lights, and training for all officers.

Whether a weapon light is a good idea may be a hot topic (I say yes, but with a traditional flashlight, as well), but when it comes down to it, if you can implement one, you never are going to say I wish I didn't have it in a shooting. Rather have and not use than need and not have.
Old September 14, 2017, 12:47 PM   #40
Skadoosh

Quote:
OK, I am unreasonable. BUT, how many of those who have responded actually belong to an official, organized, SWAT team (or equivalent) and have practiced as part of their training, the use of WMLs and other equipment?

Jim
I have. I have used WMLs to excellent effect not only in training but in real world situations. In fact, not only has a WML saved my bacon but also a person that who turned out NOT to be an imminent hostile threat. A WML is not as much of a liability as you continue to assert.
Old September 14, 2017, 06:24 PM   #41
FireForged

For a person working alone with a handgun, its pure silliness ( in my estimation) to rely only on a WML. If a person cannot recognize the inherent problems which are easily associated with a sole WML, I think you need some training.

As always, there are going to be people who watch youtube, play video games, read magazines and simply want to do it because they think its cool.

To the guy who may be suddenly thrust into a dangerous situation where you are forced to defend your self with a handgun... you arnt seal team 6 or ghost recon or any of that jazz. You are one guy who would likely benefit from as many advantages as possible. Being substantially limited by having your weapon and your light source exclusively linked forever and always.. aint always such a good thing. If you are puzzled by that statement, again.. you likely need some training.
Old September 14, 2017, 07:26 PM   #42
PPGMD

There is nothing about using a weapon light that requires it to be your only light. In fact the very idea is folly because for every situation where you need a WML you are probably a few hundred more where you need a light and it wouldn't be appropriate to have your gun out.

But nothing is stopping a person from having both. The price of weapon lights are coming down, and so is the size. You can even get one that can attach to a Glock 42/43 without really adding to how much room it takes up in your pants and for less than a $100.
Old September 14, 2017, 08:28 PM   #43
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
Being substantially limited by having your weapon and your light source exclusively linked forever and always.. aint always such a good thing. If you are puzzled by that statement, again.. you likely need some training.

I'm puzzled... you can purchase a gun, ammo (to get proficient, as well as carry ammo), holster... but you can't afford a weapon light AND a regular flashlight?

Weapon light or not, I carry a Surefire P2X. Only time I don't is when I know I'm going to be using the flashlight (doing something outside, at night), in which I switch it out for my P3X.

If someone thinks carrying a TLR-3 on a pistol is substitution for a regular flashlight... might need to rethink their carrying. Gun, and weapon light, shouldn't clear the holster until needed. At that point, that should be your main consideration, not also grabbing a flashlight. If the flashlight is in your support hand (I don't recommend to use a flashlight with your dominant hand), drop it as you are coming up on target and transition to controlling the weapon light. Most flashlights can take a drop.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:15 PM   #44
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thanks, Skadoosh for your post. In that case, the light allowed you to decide against shooting, but of course the opposite case is also true. But I wonder if your training ever included playing the opposite role? Lights, like guns, have no loyalty; anyone can use them. It would be interesting to find out if any has ever played the person in the dark waiting for the guy with the WML to come hunting for him? What does HE see?

Jim
Old September 15, 2017, 06:01 PM   #45
PPGMD

Most FoF low light does include you playing the bad guy against the instructors. As the instructors want you to see how well the techniques work, not just tell you that they work.

Most cases you can shoot blindly in the general direction, but aimed fire is impossible while the light is on, and shortly after it is turned off.
Old September 15, 2017, 07:09 PM   #46
FireForged

Quote:
I'm puzzled... you can purchase a gun, ammo (to get proficient, as well as carry ammo), holster... but you can't afford a weapon light AND a regular flashlight?
sure you can... that was my whole point. If you are relegated to only one, I would use a hand held light and if I am going to use a wml, I would make sure to have a second light.
Old September 15, 2017, 07:18 PM   #47
FireForged

Quote:
Most FoF low light does include you playing the bad guy against the instructors. As the instructors want you to see how well the techniques work, not just tell you that they work.

Most cases you can shoot blindly in the general direction, but aimed fire is impossible while the light is on, and shortly after it is turned off.
PPGMD is online now Report Post
what about the guy you don't see because you have to keep your gun with WML trained on the 1st hostile you encounter.
Old September 15, 2017, 07:42 PM   #48
PPGMD

Unless you are in a huge room, turning on a weapon light will light up the entire room.
Old September 15, 2017, 08:30 PM   #49
FireForged

things don't always happen in small rooms. Danger and violence are typically very fluid things. Its not hard to construct a scenario where a WML saves the day. The trouble is when the badguys and happenstance have ideas of their own.
Old September 15, 2017, 08:50 PM   #50
PPGMD

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That is how combat is.

But there are few scenarios where a WML is anymore of a liability than any other handheld flashlight.