The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2015, 09:15 AM   #1
BoogieMan

1911 S80 Red dot issue

I want to machine my Kimber Target II to accept a Docter red dot. If you havent seen this setup its very clean way to mount a red dot on the slide and keep your sight close to your bore. Anyway the Kimber T2 as well as many other modern 1911's are series 80 and have the plunger safety that blocks the firing pin. The plunger is actually retained by the sight base. I can make or buy a mount that will replace the sight base, but it increases the distance between the bore and sight and decreases that sweet spot of accuracy. I can remove all of the S80 parts and put a spacer in the firing group but im left with the gaping hole in the slide. I have considered filling with the TIG. I prefer not to risk warpage of the slide and refitting. I need a work around for this problem, Kimber is not the only manufacturer to make their slide like this.
Slide cut:

Kimber Slide:
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 22, 2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Hunter Customs

I've been doing low mount applications of reflex sights such as the Doctor sight for years, on my web site you will see many.

You will notice the slides I use are not cut for series 80 or Swartz firing pin block systems, as they do create a problem.

If you are dead set on using your slide you will have to do a weld up and recut the slide for the low mount application, it may be cheaper to just buy a series 70 style slide to start with.

Be advised the angle of the cut will determine how fast the shooter can acquire the dot in the sight.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:26 PM   #3
BoogieMan

Thanks Hunter. I was going to send you a PM. I was afraid of that answer. I can get a blank slide from SARCO for $170+- so that may be the way to go. The other thought is to pu the Kimber back together and trade it on a 70 series or buy/build another 1911
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 22, 2015, 02:43 PM   #4
BoogieMan

Striking out everywhere for a slide.
Need a Government 9mm 1911 slide without sight cuts. I dont care about any other markings there or not
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 22, 2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Hunter Customs

Caspian should be able to get you one.
That being said it may take awhile, they were back logged pretty heavy when I ordered the last frame slide set I'm now working on.