The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2014, 07:06 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

corn or walnut media

I was just online shopping for media for my brass tumbler, they have corn, walnut and some is treated with dry polish? Any opinions on which is best to use? I tumble after each firing before sizing and depriming.
Old June 8, 2014, 07:26 AM   #2
PA-Joe

I use walnut to clean the cases before sizing. Then I use corn to remove the lube.
Old June 8, 2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Armed_Chicagoan

I've bought Hornady XTP bullets that had corn cob media stuck in the hollow point, so I can say with certainty they tumble their bullets in corn cob media.

I have some walnut media but haven't tried it, it's much finer than the corn cob media. As in smaller grain size, not better!
Old June 8, 2014, 07:56 AM   #4
trapper9260

PA-Joe that is a good idea about usen walnut first and then corn cobs. I used the walnut if the cases was really dirty.But for what you do will work better for the way it sounds.Thank you.
By the way I do not use anything in my corn cobs.i had a farmer I know ground up some corn cobs for me and and i am set for some time now.
Old June 8, 2014, 08:04 AM   #5
loic

I mix them up, about 3/4 of corn and 1/4 of walnut. I add a small amount of nu Finnish in it. And because im cheap, when the media gets dirty, I put it in a bucket and rinse/wash it,wt it dry and use again
Old June 8, 2014, 08:36 AM   #6
billcarey

I don't add polish or anything else to the media and use a rotary tumbler. All I care about it getting the brass clean and high shine isn't important to me. Walnut and corncob media work the same except the walnut makes more dust...otherwise I see little difference and have switched back and forth for years. But if I had to put one ahead of the other I'd say walnut cleans faster. Some say corn makes more shine but evidently I don't tumble long enough to see it.

I also deprime before cleaning which presents another challenge when buying the right media size...so it doesn't lodge in the flash hole or sometimes in cartridge. Size doesn't dictate which media you buy either because both come in different sizes. You will have to do trial and error to see what size works best for you.

bp
Old June 8, 2014, 10:20 AM   #7
mehavey

Nothing else needed.
PETCO
Old June 8, 2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Gadawg88

I use walnut blast media from Harbor Freight to clean cases. About 3 hours in the tumbler. Then I put them in a second tumbler loaded with corn cob media and NuFinish car polish. Walnut does a great job of cleaning, but they come out dusty even using dryer sheets. The corn does a good job of polishing and they come out dust free and ready to be sized. Zoro Tools is a great source of bulk corn media by the way.
Old June 8, 2014, 02:57 PM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

Corncob tends to take longer to clean than Walnut does. Corncob does polish better than Walnut. I am only using Corncob now. I don't mind letting them run a little longer. If I do want the cases to clean faster I can always add some Dillon brass polish to the corncob to speed things up. Adding NuFinish prevents the brass from tarnishing much longer than not using it. I do use NuFinish for ammo I don't expect to shoot for a year or so. It is only a visual improvement and doesn't really do more than improve the looks in my opinion.

Remember when you add stuff like NuFinish or Dillon case polish to put it in the media and run it in the tumbler for a while without brass to get it to mix up properly. When all clumping is gone it is time to add the brass. I will do several batches before I put in any more additives.

The brass I got the most shine with was not intentional. I let a batch run for nearly 24 hours once. It didn't hurt the brass any either.

20/40 seems to be the best size for corncob media when tumbling brass.
Old June 8, 2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't know if its still used. In the past jewelers rouge and Acetone were the primary polishing agents mixed with crushed walnut shells. Over time as the Acetone evaporated the jewelers rouge turned to dust and your walnut shells lost its ability to clean. I was (never keen) on keeping a 25-lb box of walnut shells saturated with Acetone in my basement. So I switched to corn cob and a little Brasso mix in for my cartridge case cleaning. Never incurred any problems if you know what and how to use Brasso correct. Don't like the greasy car polish mix & c/cob. <-Sucks!!
Old June 8, 2014, 08:34 PM   #11
mjes92

As Mehavey stated
Pet store lizard litter.
NRA - Life Member
Old June 8, 2014, 08:43 PM   #12
SVTCobra306

I used Lyman Tufnut for about a year, then I let it go too long without changing it and regretted it rather badly.. it got so finely ground that I had red dust stuck to the inside of cases that was very difficult to get out. Now I use Sinclair corncob media, it works extremely well. Usually requires an overnight run to polish to my standard, but since I am sleeping anyway I don't seem to notice LOL.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old June 9, 2014, 04:12 AM   #13
hooligan1

I mix mine kind of like post #5, however I dont rinse my media, and I add NuFinish and Mineral Spirits, once in a while, and let it run for 30 mins, before dropping sized brass in it....
Old June 9, 2014, 02:20 PM   #14
WESHOOT2

really shiny

I have cleaned a few (million) cases.
I have tested many products.

I use and recommend corn-cob media intended for case cleaning, and Dillon Rapid Polish.

Using vibratory cleaners, I have been able to clean approximately 300,000 handgun cases between each media replacement.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:44 PM   #15
MDM

I like the Lyman stuff thats green. Hated the tufnut with the red rouge in it. The green lyman stuff works great.
Old June 9, 2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Jim243

I use a mix of 50/50 corn cob and Zilla lizard litter (walnut) from Petco.

Jim
Old June 10, 2014, 04:49 AM   #17
Airman Basic

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-...dia-92155.html
and a squirt of nufinish with a cut up used dryer sheet. Won't stick in flash holes.
Old June 10, 2014, 05:35 AM   #18
rebs

I go to Petsmart or Petco and buy lizzard bedding, it is crushed english walnut. Its cheap and works great
Old June 10, 2014, 08:11 AM   #19
fretless33

Weshoot2 mentioned 300,000 cases between media replacement, but roughly how often do you guys change your media (I use corn cob only and Cabela's metallic cartridge polish).
Old June 10, 2014, 11:07 AM   #20
11B-101ABN

Walnut media cleans well, corn cob polishes well, if you mix them together, you have wasted the corn media as your brass will not be well polished. I put a couple capfuls of mineral spirits in the walnut with dryer strips to keep dust to a minimum. I put a couple squirts of turtle wax polish in corn media and tumble loaded ammo, the wax cuts down on corrosion for long term storage, and the rounds really slide through the weapon.
Old June 10, 2014, 11:23 AM   #21
mehavey

Walnut....

I can darn near see every detail of my face in the shine from the walnut+mineral spirits routine.
And at my age, who wants to see even more ?
Old June 10, 2014, 11:41 AM   #22
R.Ph. 380

SS

Stainless steel Pins, Lemishine, Dawn and cover with water and tumble for 1.5 hours. Brass looks new. Changed over a year ago and have never looked back.

The Bill Of Rights: Void Where Progressives Roam
Old June 10, 2014, 12:00 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use Walnut (lizard litter) and Flitz polish (from auto parts store) and can see my reflection in the brass. I don't know how much "more" polish you could possibly have.
Old June 10, 2014, 12:16 PM   #24
Gunnels

I use a 70/30 mixture of Walnut/corncob. Bought come from Petsmart. No reason to shop online.
Beretta Cougar 8045F, 8040D, and 8000D
Old June 10, 2014, 11:43 PM   #25
totaldla

small animal bedding from feed store

I use the small animal bedding from the feed store. I like the bigger pieces as they don't get jammed into bottleneck casings. I had to open up the slots in my media separator though.