The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 31, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1
jmtbiggin

Barrel ?

I got a 93 mauser that has a 243 win barrel on it. After learning of the potential for unsafe conditions, I parked it. It always shot like a champ, but why risk it. I learned to research THEN buy. This barrel is new, only few rounds thru it. If it fits a 93 action( 2lugs, cocks on close), would it fit on 98 action(1946 spanish mauser, 2lugs up front,one on rear and cocks on open)? Thanks
Old October 31, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
DnPRK

I do not know if the Spanish Mauser will accept a small ring barrel. The Spanish Mauser I have is definitely a large ring action.

Some (but not all) Turk Mausers have 98 style bolts but with small receiver rings. Turks were imported in quantity a few years ago and are still relatively cheap. Another alternative is a Mexican Mauser which was 98 style, but has a small receiver ring. Mexican Mausers are not common and demand a premium price. If you could find a Turk, it would make a good donor action for your 243 barrel.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3
F. Guffey

the barrel should work on a Model 38 Turk, it has a large receiver rinfg and small barrel shank threads, .980 x12 tpi.

http://www.turkmauser.com/serialNumbers.aspx

Open all linkd for more information.

F. Guffey
Old October 31, 2010, 11:03 PM   #4
taylorce1

It isn't worth taking that barrel off that sporter and putting it on another. It would be cheaper to buy a whole new rifle than try to save that barrel. If you are worried about it being unsafe sell it as a parts rifle.

If you really want to save the barrel however look for a Kar 98 which was a small ring 98, as well as a Mexican, and G33/40 Mausers. There is a Turk 98 which is a large ring Mauser with small ring threads as well. If you can find it look for a Husqvarna commercial small ring action, it doesn't have the third lug but it is strong enought to handle the .243 Winchester.

Third option is to reload and use a reduced pressure loads in your .243 Win. There are some powders out there that will keep the pressure low and still get respectable speeds out of your bullets. You should be able to get 55 grain bullets up to 3500 fps and 100 grain into the 2850 fps range without stressing your action.

However I'd have a good gunsmith check it out before you continue to shoot the rifle. You will need to check for locking lug set back as well as other issues that could happen with high pressure ammunition in a 93 action. Plus if you want to spend the money you could have he action carberized to bring up the hardness and durability of the action. Pac-Met and Blanchard Metals Processing CO are two pretty reputable heat treating sources for carberizing old actions.
Old November 1, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
jmtbiggin

Thanks for the reply. I guess I won't be throwing good money after bad, or butchering a good 8mm. Like I said it had never given me a problem, but I still cannot sell in good conscience knowing the potential. To satisfy my itch for a .243, the boss lady let me get a savage 99.
Old November 1, 2010, 11:04 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
I still cannot sell in good conscience knowing the potential.
Sure you can. Just be sure to explain that it is a parts gun only and that it shouldn't be used until a competent gunsmith has given it a clean bill of health. As long as you are open and honest and realize it isn't going to sell for much you can get rid of it with a clean conscience.
Old November 2, 2010, 01:40 AM   #7
HiBC

I have another idea.
You have said you like this rifle.Ok,keep it,shoot it,enjoy it.here is how.
Just handload and back the pressure down to safe levels for a 93.
Was a time,I had to have over 3000 fps.Now,I like 2700 better.
It is that simple.The .257 Roberts and .250 Savage are fine deer cartridges.
You can have a .243 that is about the same and quite safe.