The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1
ragwd

reloads left in car

Well, I have about 200 reloads, 230gr rn 45acp. Two weeks ago I loaded up the car to go to the range and something came up and I could not go. Well I grabbed my stuff out of the trunk to put away, or so I thought. I went in my trunk today to put something in and there was my range bag with the 200 reloads. The humidity is high and this area and the temperature and varied from 15F to 42F. Well what should I do? Can I shoot them ?
Old January 17, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I should think so... I leave aprox. 700-800 rds in the back of my Honda all year round in a military ammo box.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
44guy

Of course!

Seriously, I'm not sure why you are concerned about shooting them.
I hunt and shoot reloads constantly under much more adverse conditions. I can honestly tell you that I have never once been concerned about shooting them. Have fun and shoot em up!
Old January 18, 2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Tuzo

My reloads have survived the heat, cold (freezing this past week), and high humidity of southeast Louisiana with no problems. They sit in hot vehicles in the summer and freezing vehicles during the opposite season. Some of my rifle reloads are about 25 years old, survived hunting trips in the Sierras, and still go boom whenever I remember to drag my .30-06 to the range. Same with some of my .380 Auto loaded in a magazine that lives in the car's map compartment.

Don't worry about your reloads sitting a few days or longer in your vehicle. No harm will befall your reloaded ammunition if you followed proper reloading procedures.
Old January 18, 2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Tex S

Shoot the ammo... its fine.

Our troops would really be screwed if ammo had to be kept at room temperature and perfectly dry. Think about it.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Qtiphky

Shoot em if you got em

What do you think happens when the factory ships ammo to the distributors. Probably rides in the back of a semi truck through all kinds of conditions. Hot, cold, dry, humid . . and it still works.
Old January 18, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Doby45

What shocks me is ragwd has almost 600 posts on a reloading site and is asking that question.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Ruger4570

Folks just seemed compelled to think smokeless powder has to be treated with super sensitive treatment and that it will spoil very easily.
I think there are many folks that hear some x spurt tell a story and they in turn can't wait to show how smart they have become listening to the local idiot.
The simple truth is that smokeless powder is pretty darn stable. If it weren't how could the Army (and all services) still shoot WW2 shells for practice. If smokeless powder is so sensitive, how does the Military handle today's ammo?
We have troops out in the desserts of the middle east, yet the guns still fire when needed.
I had a pound of Bulls eye from the 60's that could not have been treated worse than that powder. It suffered cold and damp cellars in the east to years of storage in Arizona desserts running 120 degrees or more at times. Never the less, the bulls eye performed perfectly in spite of almost 50 years of storage and NEVER under the conditions suggested for powder storage.
I have heard stories exactly the same as mine. I choose to believe a reloader that has actual experience over some guy that likes hearing his own voice repeating some BS he heard from some other BS er, based on nothing, wrong information and with no facts
Old January 19, 2010, 12:52 AM   #9
colospgsAVID

There's a surge of worry. Is what I have good? As sweat beads build on foreheads. I feel it though.
Old January 19, 2010, 12:53 AM   #10
colospgsAVID

At a component level... yes I'd worry. Loaded ammo is mostly solid. Keep'em dry they'll fire!

Last edited by colospgsAVID; January 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: I guess I'd worry in 20 years
Old January 19, 2010, 02:03 AM   #11
ragwd

Thanks for all to the replies.

Doby45, I am fairly new to reloading. Less than a year. Most of my posts are on other Forums.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Doby45

Ah, I see and I apologize. I did not think past that part of this site contains more than reloading.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:36 AM   #13
bedlamite

You better send them to me for testing, along with your gun. I'll report back if there are any problems
Old January 19, 2010, 09:23 AM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
Ah, I see and I apologize. I did not think past that part of this site contains more than reloading.
Quick numbers for you to consider:
374000 total threads on TFL forums site
3855000 total posts on TFL forums site

21000 threads on the Handloading and Reloading area makes for 5.6% of the site
193600 posts in the H&R area makes for 5.0% of the total site

What shocks me that a poster that has been here for a YEAR did not realize that the H&R area is but a very small part of what The Firing Line forums is all about!
Old January 19, 2010, 09:31 AM   #15
Chaz88

One note of distention. I had some cast bullet loads that had been stored bullet up in my grandfathers garage for years. There were a few of them that had bad powder from the lube melting and running down into the case. But in general I don't ever worry about reloads.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:24 AM   #16
ragwd

Dolby45, no worries. If all my post actual were on the reloading forum I could see cause for concern.
It still seems that my question was less than thoughtful. With obvious comparisons to ammo 50 years old still firing and the terrible conditions that our troops use ammo the answer should be obvious. Those scenarios did cross my mind but like I said I am new to reloading and probably a bit over cautious. Maybe after a few more years experience I will relax.
Thanks again to all who read and took the time to reply.
Old January 19, 2010, 01:43 PM   #17
Doby45

Quote:
What shocks me that a poster that has been here for a YEAR did not realize that the H&R area is but a very small part of what The Firing Line forums is all about!
You are exactly right. I have no idea what I was thinking. I think I have gone to the "Art of Rifle" section twice and other than that it has been just H&R. I will be more than happy to eat my crow in any way you see fit.
Old January 19, 2010, 06:13 PM   #18
Sevens

Best way for you to eat crow: Visit some other areas of the site! Easy for me to say because I'm pretty much a handgun guy and I can see that it's mostly a handgun oriented site, but I spend time in most all of the handgun forums and the general forum and occasionally on the buy/sell areas and all of them are enjoyable if you don't mind skipping some of the repetitive stuff.